BRIMBANK NORTH WEST
Home » News » School crossing cash injection

School crossing cash injection

The state government has agreed to pay its fair share in funding school crossing supervisors just days after Melton council announced it could be forced to review the number of existing supervised crossings in the municipality.

Roads Minister Luke Donnellan announced on Friday the state government would commit to a 50-50 funding between states and councils from July next year.

Melton councillors had unanimously agreed at last week’s council meeting to press the state government for a return to the 50-50 split of funding school crossing supervisors and to publicise the “significant inequity” that exists in funding the service.

Council spent almost $1 million in the last budget to fund the service that was first introduced in 1975 with an agreement the state would fund 66 per cent and councils 33 per cent.

The funding split was changed to 50-50 in 1993.

But Melton council chief executive Kel Tori said the council had been picking up the bulk of the tab for the past several years, receiving only 15 per cent of state government funding.

There are 83 school crossing supervisors across the municipality, but as the number of crossing supervisors at public schools has increased, the proportion of state government funding continued to decrease.

Before the announcement, Mr Tori said the increasing pressure had an unfair impact on the community.

“The [financial] risk [of the current model] is that the school crossing supervisor service will become unsustainable in the future,” he said.

Municipal Association Victoria interim president Coral Ross said the rate-capped environment had imposed significant budget constraints on councils and that ratepayers should not be required to fund the shortfall that had been shifted by the state government.

“Local government has been caught in a catch for 22 years – increase rates to keep funding this important service as state funding diminishes, or face misdirected community anger if services are cut,” Cr Ross said.

Mr Donnellan said a return to a 50-50 funding model would help keep children safe, after some councils across the state threatened to withdraw their funding for the service.

“Children are some of our most vulnerable road users and we’re making it safe for them when travelling to and from school,” he said.

Digital Editions


  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse…

More News

  • Hillside man arrested

    Hillside man arrested

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 Police arrested a 19-year old Hillside man and seized drugs and cash following a crash in Port Melbourne on Thursday 19 February. Officers…

  • Brimbank scientist nominated for award

    Brimbank scientist nominated for award

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534495 Brimbank resident Yemima Ehrnst has been nominated for the 7NEWS Young Achiever Awards (YAA) for her work furthering investigations in green energy. As…

  • Concerns over proposed facility

    Concerns over proposed facility

    A new application for a pork rendering facility in Laverton North has raised concerns among Brimbank residents, who fear it could worsen ongoing odour issues in the area. Submitted by…

  • Festival of colour returns

    Festival of colour returns

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535459 Brimbank is set to come alive with colour, music, and community spirit as the much-loved Holi Festival returns for its third consecutive year.…

  • Watergardens parking woes

    Watergardens parking woes

    Residents have raised concerns about illegal parking and a shortage of carparks at the Watergardens precinct. Brimbank resident Neil Hunichen expressed safety concerns over motorists parking their cars on the…

  • Eagles focused on consistency

    Eagles focused on consistency

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 479746 North Sunshine Eagles remain focused on being competitive each week and letting the results take care of themselves in the Victorian Premier League…

  • Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Australia’s beloved alt-rock power trio Eskimo Joe are sure to have audiences up on their feet when they headline the Lincoln Park Twilight Festival. Held on Saturday 28 February at…

  • Collection retained

    Collection retained

    Brimbank councillors have pushed back against a council recommendation to reduce the frequency of garbage collection services from weekly to fortnightly, as part of state government-mandated waste reforms. Under the…

  • Council adopts social justice framework

    Council adopts social justice framework

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 504582 Brimbank council has adopted a new social justice framework, which it said will help create a more fair, inclusive and supportive community. The…

  • Sunshine North man charged

    Sunshine North man charged

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A 48-year-old Sunshine North man and a California Gully man have been charged as part of an investigation into alleged drug trafficking in…