BRIMBANK NORTH WEST
Home » News » Action urged for Calder Park Drive overpass

Action urged for Calder Park Drive overpass

The Calder Action Group has echoed calls for an overpass at the “high-risk” intersection of Calder Park Drive and Calder Freeway.

Group president Ian Sutherland is backing a petition, started by local federal Labor MPs, calling for federal funding for the overpass.

Mr Sutherland said traffic congestion and safety issues would be solved if the state and federal governments started work on an overpass that had been campaigned for at least a decade.

He said an 80km/h speed restriction on most of the Calder Freeway section had been recently removed and replaced with a 100km/h limit.

“But the section around Calder Park Drive and the racecourse is still risky enough for VicRoads to require a lower speed limit.

“When there’s a big event happening at the racecourse, it can be hair-raising for drivers.”

With population growth and the emergence of new suburbs, an overpass at the busy intersection should be on the list of priorities for the federal government, Mr Sutherland said.

“This is a strong local issue that goes as far as Bendigo and as [far] back as 10 years.”

He said that while he was “terribly grateful” for the federal Labor Opposition’s support, he was disappointed the party hadn’t made a financial commitment to the overpass going into an election.

Gorton Labor MP Brendan O’Connor, who initiated the petition, said an overpass would “enormously” advantage his electorate, improving the “capacity and safety of the road”.

“We call on the Abbott/Turnbull Liberal government to take a more proactive approach to the residential and employment growth in Melbourne’s west by investing in suitable road infrastructure, such as the Calder Park Drive overpass,” Mr O’Connor said.

Federal Infrastructure and Transport Minister Darren Chester said the federal government contributed money towards upgrades along the Calder Freeway, but the overpass was a matter for the state.

“The planning, development and prioritisation of projects, such as this, is the responsibility of the Victorian government,” Mr Chester said.

“To date, the project has not been prioritised by the Victorian government for funding consideration by the Australian government.”

The state government was contacted for comment.

Click here to sign the petition.

 

Digital Editions


  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Brimbank are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and windy…

More News

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    Star Weekly looks back at the pages of our predecessors… 40 years ago 26 February, 1986 Angry Deer Park residents have slammed the federal government’s $6 million Kororoit Creek beautification…

  • Eagles looking for consistency

    Eagles looking for consistency

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 520809 Sunshine Eagles know they need to be on their A-grade game for the rest of the Baseball Victoria summer league premier 1 first…

  • Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times in Brimbank increased slightly during the last quarter, according to the latest data released by Ambulance Victoria (AV). In the October to December period, Brimbank patients waited…

  • Blood donation pop-up

    Blood donation pop-up

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532439 Locals are being invited to roll up their sleeves and give blood as Lifeblood hosts a blood donation popup in Sunshine early next…

  • Love is in the air

    Love is in the air

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533993 Couples at Doutta Galla Aged Care facility in Sunshine were treated to a romantic lunch date on Thursday 12 February ahead of Valentine’s…

  • My place

    My place

    Wasi Abidi grew up in Melton before moving to St Albans. Benefitting from a western scholarships program through Western Chances, Mr Abidi told Jack O’Shea-Ayres about home life, education and…

  • Georgies top flight return

    Georgies top flight return

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534346 It was a day almost eight years in the making for Caroline Springs George Cross on Saturday. The Georgies made their return to…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to help the continued…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and quite often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project,…