BRIMBANK NORTH WEST
Home » Uncategorized » Essendon: Players cleared by AFL anti-doping tribunal

Essendon: Players cleared by AFL anti-doping tribunal

UPDATE: Thirty-four past and present Essendon footballers are free to resume playing after being cleared of taking a banned drug.

AFL anti-doping tribunal chairman David Jones revealed on Tuesday that the players, of whom 17 are still at Essendon, had been able to prove they were not given the prohibited substance thymosin beta-4 during the club’s 2011-12 supplements program.

David Grace QC, representing 32 of the 34 players, was delighted with the outcome.

“We are very pleased. We all had a very fair hearing and we are happy with the result, obviously,” he said on Tuesday afternoon.

“No one has read the reasons for the decision. We are still going to be considering that. The players will be playing this week.”

The Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority welcomed the verdict but severely criticised the program at Essendon three years ago.

“What happened at Essendon in 2012 was, in my opinion, absolutely and utterly disgraceful. It was not a supplements program but an injection regime and the players and the fans were so poorly let down by the club,” ASADA CEO Ben McDevitt said in a statement.

“While I am obviously disappointed that the charges in this instance have not been proven to the comfortable satisfaction of the tribunal, I am pleased that the tribunal was able to finally hear these matters.”

Grace did not wish to comment about ASADA’s case, or what the anti-doping body would do now.

“I don’t want to comment about the strength or the weakness of the case,” he said.

“We mounted a very strong defence to the case and the result is here today.”

Lawyers for ASADA weren’t able to prove to a “comfortable satisfaction” that the chain of evidence was strong enough to prosecute their case. 

The hearings before Jones, John Nixon, also a former County Court judge, and Wayne Henwood, a former VFL-AFL player, and now a barrister, began in December and concluded in February.

The Essendon players, including skipper Jobe Watson, had been provisionally suspended since receiving infraction notices for a second time on November 14.

The Bombers open their season against the Sydney Swans at ANZ Stadium on Saturday night.

However, ASADA and the World Anti-Doping Agency could now appeal to the AFL appeals tribunal. They have 21 days to appeal. If there are sufficient grounds, they could also appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

The announcement by Jones was a significant moment in a case that has clouded the league since the Bombers self-reported on February 5, 2013.

It was unclear whether Stephen Dank, the architect of the supplements program who was also given an infraction notice, had been cleared.

Essendon has yet to comment extensively on the decision but the club’s chief executive simply tweeted the following: “I am so proud of our players.”

This story first appeared in The Age

//

Digital Editions


  • Eagles looking for consistency

    Eagles looking for consistency

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 520809 Sunshine Eagles know they need to be on their A-grade game for the rest of the Baseball Victoria…

More News

  • Georgies top flight return

    Georgies top flight return

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534346 It was a day almost eight years in the making for Caroline Springs George Cross on Saturday. The Georgies made their return to…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to help the continued…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and quite often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project,…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without a clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from…

  • Multicultural health committee expanded

    Multicultural health committee expanded

    Victoria’s Multicultural Health Advisory Committee has been expanded in an effort to make the state’s health system more inclusive and increasingly diverse. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas unveiled the strengthened and…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north and west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…

  • More than four walls

    More than four walls

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 530350 For people who are socially isolated, culturally diverse or part of the LGBTQIA+ community, finding a space where you feel safe and welcomed…

  • Johns’ new challenge

    Johns’ new challenge

    One door closed and another opened for new Keilor Thunder signing Matt Johns. Johns, who had been playing in Queensland, was set to play basketball overseas late last year. When…