BRIMBANK NORTH WEST
Home » Uncategorized » East beast flatten Jets

East beast flatten Jets

By Lance Jenkinson

The Western Jets had the L-plates on in their TAC Cup season opener.

The new-look Jets are unlikely to face a much steeper learning curve than the one they confronted in Saturday’s 122-point loss to Eastern Ranges at Ikon Park.

The contrast in experience between the sides showed on the scoreboard, with the Ranges turning the game into a whitewash with a breathtaking 16-goals-to-four second half.

While not shying away from his disappointment at a breaking down of team structures and waning concentration levels after half-time, Jets coach Torin Baker put the defeat into perspective.

“Most experts in the comp would say Eastern are going to be a strong group this year,” he said.

“They’ve got some really good top-end talent. They played a lot of their players as bottom-agers last year and now they have a fair bit of experience.

“For us, we had only four players who represented us in the elimination final, so it was a really new group from last year.

“We took in eight first-gamers; 14 of the players had played under five games, and we’re missing some real experience at the moment to be able to help those boys.

“Put all that together, the good talent we were playing against and a pretty new group, our boys were just outclassed.”

This competition is all about opportunities and there are going to be plenty of chances for Jets’ players to stake their claim for starting positions this season.

Jets defender Liam Carter got his chance to play on premium forward Sam Weideman, a grandson of two-time Collingwood premiership star Murray, son of former Collingwood player Mark and an early tip to be a high draft pick later this year.

Carter turned an unfavourable situation – the ball was constantly being pumped into his defensive zone by an incessant Ranges midfield – into a performance that would have people in high places taking note.

Carter, who is back with the Jets under the 19-year-old rule, kept Weideman to two goals.

The other Ranges forward on the recruiters’ radar is Blake Hardwick, who finished with eight goals to be best player on the ground.

Hardwick led Jets first-game players Brodie Romensky and Judah Dundon a merry dance, but Baker sees the education of playing on such a highly rated player as priceless for the pair.

“For them to be able to get that sort of experience will be good for their development,” Baker said.

The Jets will head to RAMS Arena in Craigieburn for their second-round clash against Sandringham Dragons on Sunday.

Digital Editions


  • Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times in Brimbank increased slightly during the last quarter, according to the latest data released by Ambulance Victoria (AV). In the October to…

More News

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to help the continued…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and quite often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project,…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without a clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from…

  • Multicultural health committee expanded

    Multicultural health committee expanded

    Victoria’s Multicultural Health Advisory Committee has been expanded in an effort to make the state’s health system more inclusive and increasingly diverse. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas unveiled the strengthened and…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north and west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…

  • More than four walls

    More than four walls

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 530350 For people who are socially isolated, culturally diverse or part of the LGBTQIA+ community, finding a space where you feel safe and welcomed…

  • Johns’ new challenge

    Johns’ new challenge

    One door closed and another opened for new Keilor Thunder signing Matt Johns. Johns, who had been playing in Queensland, was set to play basketball overseas late last year. When…

  • Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Epilepsy Action Australia and Australian Women with Epilepsy are inviting women across the country to take part in a powerful one-day forum designed to uplift, inform and support women living…