BRIMBANK NORTH WEST
Home » Uncategorized » CAPE SCHANCK: Expansion plan angers locals

CAPE SCHANCK: Expansion plan angers locals

Residents near the rugged Bass Strait coastline at Cape Schanck say a $135 million planned expansion to a popular tourist resort is far too big, and that its height will damage the coastal area’s delicate scenery.

The RACV wants to dramatically expand its Cape Schanck Resort, on the Mornington Peninsula, adding a conference centre with a 300-person capacity.

The plan, lodged with the Mornington Peninsula Shire Council late last year, has angered residents who say the size and height of the project is inappropriate for the area and will bring significant light pollution.

Planning rules were changed in the final days of the Napthine government to allow the project to go ahead – although the final sign-off for the new laws came during the caretaker period.

Local resident Paul A’Bell has campaigned against the proposal, which is being assessed by the  council.

“They’re just steamrolling everyone,” Mr A’Bell said.

“This is a very pristine area and once they introduce one high-rise development, it will pave the way for others.”

Mr A’Bell said he and other residents did not want to stop the project. “We just want it to reflect the style of development in the area, and take into account the impact on current residents.”

Lynn Bowden is a councillor for the area, and said the project had first been presented to the community in 2013. She said the council had not yet made any ruling on the RACV’s plan.

“It might seem to some residents that it’s going through quickly but the council has not made a final decision,” she said.

The RACV argues that the height of the building will mean less land will be taken up by the facility, and it will also reduce the environmental impact.

The 7.6 hectare development zone is located on a saddle between two ridgelines with the goal of reducing the amount of vegetation to be cleared, as well as the impact on neighbouring properties.

Sue Blake, the RACV’s clubs and resorts manager, said there had been extensive consultation with both the council and the community on the plan since 2012.

She said the development was “sensitive to the coastal landscape, rolling dunes and the site’s undulating topography”.

The council has organised a mediation meeting for residents and the RACV next Tuesday, February 24, to discuss the plan.

This story first appeared in The Age

Digital Editions


  • Eagles looking for consistency

    Eagles looking for consistency

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 520809 Sunshine Eagles know they need to be on their A-grade game for the rest of the Baseball Victoria…

More News

  • Georgies top flight return

    Georgies top flight return

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534346 It was a day almost eight years in the making for Caroline Springs George Cross on Saturday. The Georgies made their return to…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to help the continued…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and quite often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project,…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without a clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from…

  • Multicultural health committee expanded

    Multicultural health committee expanded

    Victoria’s Multicultural Health Advisory Committee has been expanded in an effort to make the state’s health system more inclusive and increasingly diverse. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas unveiled the strengthened and…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north and west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…

  • More than four walls

    More than four walls

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 530350 For people who are socially isolated, culturally diverse or part of the LGBTQIA+ community, finding a space where you feel safe and welcomed…

  • Johns’ new challenge

    Johns’ new challenge

    One door closed and another opened for new Keilor Thunder signing Matt Johns. Johns, who had been playing in Queensland, was set to play basketball overseas late last year. When…