BRIMBANK NORTH WEST
Home » Uncategorized » ESSENDON: AFL releases ‘top-up’ player details

ESSENDON: AFL releases ‘top-up’ player details

Rival AFL clubs will reluctantly allow their VFL talent to join Essendon as top-up players, realising this is the most practical option to ensure the NAB Challenge and the AFL season proceeds amid the ongoing supplements saga.

Several clubs on Monday privately admitted it “wasn’t ideal” that they could lose players to the Bombers, even though these players were not on their primary AFL list. However, all clubs are keen for as less distraction as possible heading into the new season.

The AFL Commission ruled on Monday that the Bombers would be restricted to signing a maximum of two players per any VFL and state-league based side to help fill their side, initially for the pre-season competition.

The 25 players from the club’s 2012 list will not take part in the competition, helping to protect the anonymity of the 17 provisionally suspended and charged with taking the banned dug, thymosin beta-4.

The Commission also ruled the Bombers could temporary sign any player not currently on an AFL list but who had been on an AFL list in the last two seasons.

The league said its general counsel Andrew Dillon had the power to make an exception to this “but only in the circumstance that it does not unfairly disadvantage any other club”.

In a statement, the AFL said the Commission had “also ruled that any payments to a temporary player will be included in Essendon’s Total Player Payments but they will be provided with a TPP allowance for those payments in a manner similar to the operation of the injury allowance”.

Dillon has the power to determine ongoing list concessions should, for instance, a top-up player be suspended.

The AFL said it would continue working with Essendon and the AFL Players Association “to ensure appropriate terms and conditions for the temporary players including minimum payments and provisions for injury, insurance and medical”.

Dillon said the concessions and policy recommendations would allow the Bombers to field a team during the NAB Challenge and “allows them to enact a contingency in the event that players are suspended for the premiership season”. He said it was a “suitable outcome” for the competition.

“This is a reasonable and sensible package of concessions that recognises the unprecedented situation facing our competition, does not unfairly disadvantage other clubs, and allows Essendon to field a team,” Dillon said. 

The list concessions came as the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority’s case against Essendon officially closed, having presented its oral submission.

Having already submitted what is believed to be a document of more than 300 pages, ASADA’s counsel, Malcolm Holmes, QC, completed his case against the 34 current and former Bombers, and Stephen Dank, the man at the centre of the 2012 injecting program, before the AFL’s anti-doping tribunal.

David Grace, QC, representing 32 of the 34 players, and Neil Clelland, QC, representing the remaining two players, Western Bulldogs forward Stewart Crameri and VFL player Brent Prismall, will begin presenting their oral submissions on Tuesday. The AFL will also deliver its final word.

The anti-doping tribunal, under the chairmanship of former County court judge David Jones, is due to begin deliberations from Wednesday.

The AFL is confident Jones and his panel will reach a decision within a month.

This story first appeared in The Age

Digital Editions


  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse…

More News

  • Hillside man arrested

    Hillside man arrested

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 Police arrested a 19-year old Hillside man and seized drugs and cash following a crash in Port Melbourne on Thursday 19 February. Officers…

  • Brimbank scientist nominated for award

    Brimbank scientist nominated for award

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534495 Brimbank resident Yemima Ehrnst has been nominated for the 7NEWS Young Achiever Awards (YAA) for her work furthering investigations in green energy. As…

  • Concerns over proposed facility

    Concerns over proposed facility

    A new application for a pork rendering facility in Laverton North has raised concerns among Brimbank residents, who fear it could worsen ongoing odour issues in the area. Submitted by…

  • Festival of colour returns

    Festival of colour returns

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535459 Brimbank is set to come alive with colour, music, and community spirit as the much-loved Holi Festival returns for its third consecutive year.…

  • Watergardens parking woes

    Watergardens parking woes

    Residents have raised concerns about illegal parking and a shortage of carparks at the Watergardens precinct. Brimbank resident Neil Hunichen expressed safety concerns over motorists parking their cars on the…

  • Eagles focused on consistency

    Eagles focused on consistency

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 479746 North Sunshine Eagles remain focused on being competitive each week and letting the results take care of themselves in the Victorian Premier League…

  • Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Australia’s beloved alt-rock power trio Eskimo Joe are sure to have audiences up on their feet when they headline the Lincoln Park Twilight Festival. Held on Saturday 28 February at…

  • Collection retained

    Collection retained

    Brimbank councillors have pushed back against a council recommendation to reduce the frequency of garbage collection services from weekly to fortnightly, as part of state government-mandated waste reforms. Under the…

  • Council adopts social justice framework

    Council adopts social justice framework

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 504582 Brimbank council has adopted a new social justice framework, which it said will help create a more fair, inclusive and supportive community. The…

  • Sunshine North man charged

    Sunshine North man charged

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A 48-year-old Sunshine North man and a California Gully man have been charged as part of an investigation into alleged drug trafficking in…