BRIMBANK NORTH WEST
Home » Uncategorized » EAST WEST LINK: Labor ramps up dump plans

EAST WEST LINK: Labor ramps up dump plans

Federal Treasurer Joe Hockey is continuing to insist the East West Link should be built as the Andrews government ramps up negotiations to dump the multi-billion dollar contract.

Premier Daniel Andrews on Monday declared he would not be breaking his promise to scrap the contract, claiming he had been in discussions with Prime Minister Tony Abbott about redirecting $3 billion of Commonwealth money earmarked for the road into other projects.

“I’ve had very positive discussions with Mr Abbott, respectful, positive discussions about how we can work together,” Mr Andrews said.

The comments came as state Treasurer Tim Pallas confirmed discussions to scrap the contract for the project were entering a critical phase.

Leading financial adviser John Wylie and leading commercial litigator Leon Zwier are advising the government over negotiations with the consortium to scrap the contract.

“Mr Wylie and Mr Zwier have agreed to work towards a fair and appropriate outcome for Victorian taxpayers in the circumstances where the government has decided that the project will not proceed,” Mr Pallas said in a statement.

“At the appropriate time, the government – subject to the views of consortium members – will release the scope of the East West Link agreement.”

Mr Abbott is adamant that Commonwealth money will not be set aside for commuter rail projects, only roads.

As a result, Labor is believed to be canvassing several alternative options for the $3 billion, including a suggestion that the money could be redirected into its $2.4 billion pledge to remove 30 level crossing over the next four years, and its $500 million plan to build a new ramp to remove trucks from the Westgate Bridge.

Asked whether a deal was close following discussions with the Victorian government, Mr Hockey said: “Not that I am aware of.”

“There are certain criteria that need to be fulfilled as part of any negotiation or discussion. The focus has to be on jobs and strengthening the economy.”

He said he had been encouraged by recent talks with Mr Abbott about federal funding for other Victorian infrastructure projects. 

The Premier also said the government was still working on how it would release the contracts for the East West Link and was still negotiating with consortium about ending the project.

The Abbott government has long warned that any move by Labor to scrap the contract for the road will result in the withdrawal of $3 billion of Commonwealth money set aside for the project.

But privately Victorian federal Liberal MPs are fearful that denying Victoria the funding could cost the party seats at next year’s federal election, with published opinion polls showing the federal Coalition languishing in Victoria on 40 per cent to Labor’s 60 cent in two-party-preferred terms.

This story first appeared in The Age

Digital Editions


More News

  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the frequency of targeted attacks,…

  • Festival for all abilities

    Festival for all abilities

    Ability Fest is returning to Melbourne on April 11, 2026, with a new focus on industrial venue accessibility at The Timber Yard in Port Melbourne. The event marks a shift…

  • The sport of kings in Werribee

    The sport of kings in Werribee

    What many call the sport of kings will be on full display at Werribee Park as the historic Urquhart Cup polo tournament gallops into town on Sunday 1 March. More…

  • Lions through

    Lions through

    Deer Park will be hoping to go one better after winning through to the Victorian Turf Cricket Association group A T20 grand finals. Last year’s runners-up, the Lions sent a…

  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Hillside man arrested

    Hillside man arrested

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 Police arrested a 19-year old Hillside man and seized drugs and cash following a crash in Port Melbourne on Thursday 19 February. Officers…

  • Brimbank scientist nominated for award

    Brimbank scientist nominated for award

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534495 Brimbank resident Yemima Ehrnst has been nominated for the 7NEWS Young Achiever Awards (YAA) for her work furthering investigations in green energy. As…

  • Concerns over proposed facility

    Concerns over proposed facility

    A new application for a pork rendering facility in Laverton North has raised concerns among Brimbank residents, who fear it could worsen ongoing odour issues in the area. Submitted by…

  • Festival of colour returns

    Festival of colour returns

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535459 Brimbank is set to come alive with colour, music, and community spirit as the much-loved Holi Festival returns for its third consecutive year.…

  • Watergardens parking woes

    Watergardens parking woes

    Residents have raised concerns about illegal parking and a shortage of carparks at the Watergardens precinct. Brimbank resident Neil Hunichen expressed safety concerns over motorists parking their cars on the…