BRIMBANK NORTH WEST
Home » Uncategorized » WILLIAMSTOWN: Shipyard workers win jobs reprieve

WILLIAMSTOWN: Shipyard workers win jobs reprieve

LATEST: Workers at Williamstown’s shipyard have been granted a reprieve after being contracted to produce an additional three blocks under the $8.5  billion Air Warfare Destroyer (AWD) program.

As reported by Star Weekly in August, the federal government was understood to be in negotiations for BAE Systems to take over the country’s largest defence project.

BAE replaces the government-owned ASC in Adelaide as prime shipbuilder on three AWDs.

The Williamstown shipyard, which employs more than 1000, had been in danger of closing next year when current work ran out.

State Manufacturing Minister David Hodgett said the contract meant BAE could retain its AWD workforce once current work was completed, while awaiting further decisions from the federal government about future naval shipbuilding work.

“The Victorian Coalition government will continue to work co-operatively with the federal government to secure the future of the Williamstown shipyard, which is not just of great value for Victoria, but is in the best interest of Australia’s national security,” he said.

“Today is a first step towards long-term securement of these skilled jobs at Williamstown.”

BAE maritime director Bill Saltzer said the additional blocks for the third AWD would bring the total number constructed in Williamstown to 21.

“BAE Systems has secured the additional blocks because of the shipyard’s high quality and productivity and proven capability to deliver the blocks on schedule,” he said.

Eleven blocks have already been delivered under the original contract.

Warships are created by assembling pre-built blocks.

Mr Saltzer said BAE had invested in more advanced manufacturing capabilities to improve production processes.

Digital Editions


  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse…

More News

  • Hillside man arrested

    Hillside man arrested

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 Police arrested a 19-year old Hillside man and seized drugs and cash following a crash in Port Melbourne on Thursday 19 February. Officers…

  • Brimbank scientist nominated for award

    Brimbank scientist nominated for award

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534495 Brimbank resident Yemima Ehrnst has been nominated for the 7NEWS Young Achiever Awards (YAA) for her work furthering investigations in green energy. As…

  • Concerns over proposed facility

    Concerns over proposed facility

    A new application for a pork rendering facility in Laverton North has raised concerns among Brimbank residents, who fear it could worsen ongoing odour issues in the area. Submitted by…

  • Festival of colour returns

    Festival of colour returns

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535459 Brimbank is set to come alive with colour, music, and community spirit as the much-loved Holi Festival returns for its third consecutive year.…

  • Watergardens parking woes

    Watergardens parking woes

    Residents have raised concerns about illegal parking and a shortage of carparks at the Watergardens precinct. Brimbank resident Neil Hunichen expressed safety concerns over motorists parking their cars on the…

  • Eagles focused on consistency

    Eagles focused on consistency

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 479746 North Sunshine Eagles remain focused on being competitive each week and letting the results take care of themselves in the Victorian Premier League…

  • Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Australia’s beloved alt-rock power trio Eskimo Joe are sure to have audiences up on their feet when they headline the Lincoln Park Twilight Festival. Held on Saturday 28 February at…

  • Collection retained

    Collection retained

    Brimbank councillors have pushed back against a council recommendation to reduce the frequency of garbage collection services from weekly to fortnightly, as part of state government-mandated waste reforms. Under the…

  • Council adopts social justice framework

    Council adopts social justice framework

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 504582 Brimbank council has adopted a new social justice framework, which it said will help create a more fair, inclusive and supportive community. The…

  • Sunshine North man charged

    Sunshine North man charged

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A 48-year-old Sunshine North man and a California Gully man have been charged as part of an investigation into alleged drug trafficking in…