BRIMBANK NORTH WEST
Home » Uncategorized » MELBOURNE: Council refunds nearly 35,000 parking fines

MELBOURNE: Council refunds nearly 35,000 parking fines

Almost 35,000 people fined for parking in Melbourne’s CBD between 2012 and 2014 will receive a refund.

The City of Melbourne admitted the administrative error, first committed in June 2012,  would affect 34,800 drivers who mistakenly received fines even after nominating another driver. 

The council has already refunded 16,200 people at a cost of $1.46 million. A further 18,600 drivers who are yet to pay their fine will have the offence withdrawn, a council spokesman said.

The error will cost the council $3.2 million.

It is understood that two staff members kept re-issuing infringement notices for two years – until July 30, 2014 – without realising that their authority to fine people had been revoked.

 The spokesman said that affected drivers did not need to contact the council,  because all affected had been identified and would be contacted in coming months.

“We will work to refund any fines already paid as soon as possible, but it is a complex process that could take several months to complete,” he said.

“[There was] no doubt the original parking violations occured, and that a valid infringement notice was issued at the time – the administrative error occured in the re-issuing of the infringement.” 

Lord Mayor Robert Doyle said: “We at the City of Melbourne have made this mistake. We will withdraw or refund every one of those 34,800 fines.”

The $3.2 million hit to the council’s budget will eat up most of the $4 million surplus left over from the 2013-2014 financial year.

Councillor Stephen Mayne said the council would be able to take the money from a stash of $100 million the triple-A rated municipality has sitting in the bank.

He said it would have no impact on the current year’s surplus, forecast to be $6.37 million.

Cr Mayne, the chair of the council’s finance and governance committee, said he felt for the two council officers who had worked for two years, only to have all their fines refunded.

“It is completely not their fault and we’re not blaming them,’’ he said.

‘‘At the end of the day it is a windfall for those people that parked in the city illegally and can now get away with it.”

Cr Mayne said he and Lord Mayor Robert Doyle were first made aware of the error last week, and on Tuesday night they briefed other councillors in a confidential meeting.

Cr Mayne said it was important council were open and transparent about their mistake.

“You don’t do a Daniel Andrews and duck shove,” he said.

Digital Editions


  • Lions return to form

    Lions return to form

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532918 It was a return to form for Taylors Lakes on Saturday, but it might be a little bit…

More News

  • Australia Post ramps up the horse-power for Lunar New Year

    Australia Post ramps up the horse-power for Lunar New Year

    Australia Post is celebrating the Year of the Horse with the release of its Lunar New Year stamp issue, and its first ever ‘DigiStamp’. The traditional Lunar New Year stamp…

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher distracted-driving and seatbelt enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will soon become…

  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the frequency of targeted attacks,…

  • Festival for all abilities

    Festival for all abilities

    Ability Fest is returning to Melbourne on April 11, 2026, with a new focus on industrial venue accessibility at The Timber Yard in Port Melbourne. The event marks a shift…

  • The sport of kings in Werribee

    The sport of kings in Werribee

    What many call the sport of kings will be on full display at Werribee Park as the historic Urquhart Cup polo tournament gallops into town on Sunday 1 March. More…

  • Lions through

    Lions through

    Deer Park will be hoping to go one better after winning through to the Victorian Turf Cricket Association group A T20 grand finals. Last year’s runners-up, the Lions sent a…

  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Hillside man arrested

    Hillside man arrested

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 Police arrested a 19-year old Hillside man and seized drugs and cash following a crash in Port Melbourne on Thursday 19 February. Officers…

  • Brimbank scientist nominated for award

    Brimbank scientist nominated for award

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534495 Brimbank resident Yemima Ehrnst has been nominated for the 7NEWS Young Achiever Awards (YAA) for her work furthering investigations in green energy. As…