BRIMBANK NORTH WEST
Home » Uncategorized » STATE: Camera blitz to nab drivers from 700 metres

STATE: Camera blitz to nab drivers from 700 metres

A futuristic new camera that can detect drivers who tweet, text or talk on their mobile phones from 700 metres away will come into use on Tuesday.

Victoria Police will use the 13-day Easter and Anzac Day holiday period to trial the country’s first mobile camera, called the “Ranger”, which can be used to nab drivers using phones or not wearing seat belts long before they spot the camera.

The camera will also nab motorists who drive carelessly while applying make-up or eating at the wheel.

Assistant Commissioner Robert Hill said this was one of the “most significant road policing operations conducted in this state over the Easter period”.

“We know motorists are quick to put their phone down and put their seatbelt on when they see a police car,” he said.

“With this long-lens camera, we will see them first.”

Motorists could be fined for looking distracted and for taking their eyes off the road, regardless of whether they were holding a mobile phone at the time, Assistant Commissioner Hill said.

“History tells us that we experience significant trauma on our roads during the Easter holiday break,” he said.

“Over the past five years, 1385 people have suffered as a result of 1018 collisions on Victorian roads. That means 22 people have been killed, 528 have suffered life-threatening or life-changing injuries and 835 suffered minor injuries.”

Under penalties introduced late last year, drivers caught using mobile phones will be hit with hefty fines of $433 and four demerit points. Drivers on a full licence who accumulate 12 demerit points in three years can lose their licence.

Assistant Commissioner Hill said police received the cameras last year, and officers were now sufficiently trained to use them on the roads.

He said the long weekend would pose a threat to lives as people travel long distances to see family and friends.

“They will be on unfamiliar roads, driving long distances with distractions in the car.

“These factors are what result in terrifying collisions.”

The Easter and Anzac campaigns begin on Tuesday and conclude on Sunday, April 27.

Digital Editions


  • Eagles looking for consistency

    Eagles looking for consistency

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 520809 Sunshine Eagles know they need to be on their A-grade game for the rest of the Baseball Victoria…

More News

  • Georgies top flight return

    Georgies top flight return

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534346 It was a day almost eight years in the making for Caroline Springs George Cross on Saturday. The Georgies made their return to…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to help the continued…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and quite often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project,…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without a clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from…

  • Multicultural health committee expanded

    Multicultural health committee expanded

    Victoria’s Multicultural Health Advisory Committee has been expanded in an effort to make the state’s health system more inclusive and increasingly diverse. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas unveiled the strengthened and…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north and west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…

  • More than four walls

    More than four walls

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 530350 For people who are socially isolated, culturally diverse or part of the LGBTQIA+ community, finding a space where you feel safe and welcomed…

  • Johns’ new challenge

    Johns’ new challenge

    One door closed and another opened for new Keilor Thunder signing Matt Johns. Johns, who had been playing in Queensland, was set to play basketball overseas late last year. When…