BRIMBANK NORTH WEST
Home » Uncategorized » ESSENDON: The Hirds get final warning

ESSENDON: The Hirds get final warning

UPDATE: James Hird has survived as Essendon’s coach in exile having been delivered what appears to have been a final warning from the Bombers board.

The suspended Hird and his wife Tania both spoke to the Essendon board at a specially convened meeting on Wednesday morning at the home of Essendon chairman Paul Little, who told the couple they had to allow the club to focus upon its season.

Little is understood to have outlined a more detailed and significantly tougher set of protocols around the Hirds’ public behaviour as part of the suspended coach’s employment agreement with the club.

Hird attended the meeting via telephone from Singapore while his wife attended in person. Both were emotional and spoke of how they had suffered as a result of feeling forced to accept Hird’s one-year suspension. They also spoke of the personal hurt and anguish at ongoing criticism which they believed had been misdirected at Hird.

However the board meeting broke up with the Essendon directors largely satisfied that Hird and his wife would now allow the club to move forward without the distraction of public commentary by either of them.

In terms of the outlying members of the Hird camp – including his father Allan who attacked AFL boss Andrew Demetriou in the Sunday Age – and his various legal and media advisors, Hird agreed to demomstrate his best endeavours to prevent them from focusing upon events from last year.

However the board accepted there were no legal grounds to insist upon silence from those outside Hird’s immediate family.

The couple was told in no uncertain terms that the board had been deeply unhappy at not only the timing of Tania Hird’s outburst on the ABC’s 7.30 Report but also its inflammatory content and the fact that the Hirds had not communicated with the club regarding details of the interview.

Little drove home to the Hirds that the ABC Report had dealt untold stress, damage and harm to the club not only on the eve of its opening round game but that the fall-out had continued to hurt Essendon as it worked to rebuild its reputation.

While the Hirds did not formally apologise to the club directors, the board was satisfied that they had acknowledged the damage Tania Hird’s interview had caused.

Digital Editions


  • Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times in Brimbank increased slightly during the last quarter, according to the latest data released by Ambulance Victoria (AV). In the October to…

More News

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to help the continued…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and quite often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project,…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without a clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from…

  • Multicultural health committee expanded

    Multicultural health committee expanded

    Victoria’s Multicultural Health Advisory Committee has been expanded in an effort to make the state’s health system more inclusive and increasingly diverse. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas unveiled the strengthened and…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north and west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…

  • More than four walls

    More than four walls

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 530350 For people who are socially isolated, culturally diverse or part of the LGBTQIA+ community, finding a space where you feel safe and welcomed…

  • Johns’ new challenge

    Johns’ new challenge

    One door closed and another opened for new Keilor Thunder signing Matt Johns. Johns, who had been playing in Queensland, was set to play basketball overseas late last year. When…

  • Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Epilepsy Action Australia and Australian Women with Epilepsy are inviting women across the country to take part in a powerful one-day forum designed to uplift, inform and support women living…