BRIMBANK NORTH WEST
Home » Uncategorized » Boral landfill: Big stink as residents tip ire on council

Boral landfill: Big stink as residents tip ire on council

UPDATE: North-west residents have until April to lobby Melton council about controversial plans to expand a landfill near Ravenhall.

Hundreds of angry residents gathered at Caroline Springs Regional College last Wednesday night, with more than a dozen queuing up to take the microphone to voice displeasure at foul odours and a perceived lack of information from the council.

Boral’s application, which seeks to extend its operations by 179,000,000 cubic metres, would, if approved, create one of the biggest garbage dumps in Australia.

The Weekly understands the council will likely consider the application in April.

Wednesday night’s meeting almost descended into farce, with Kororoit Labor MP Marlene Kairouz continually interrupted by irate members of the public.

Several residents stood up and implored the crowd to contact the Environment Protection Authority at the first whiff of an odour.

“Melton City Council should never have allowed [the tip],” one resident said.

“You people have it all wrong – the smell is coming out of Melton City Council,” another added. The

Weekly understands six Melton councillors attended the meeting, including mayor Bob Turner and Kathy Majdlik, who was heckled by several angry residents.

“You are not doing your job – you’re against us,” yelled one man who was sitting next to her.

But Cr Majdlik explained that little could be done until the application was presented to councillors. “I am very concerned – legally we cannot say which way we’ll vote,” Cr Majdlik said. “I need people power so I can represent you. We care for you, we live here.”

Cr Turner added: “We need your voice. [The application] will likely come to council in the next few months.”

Objectors have secured bipartisan support, with Western Metropolitan Liberal MP Bernie Finn describing Boral’s application an “outrageous proposal”. “A stinking mountain near residential areas is just not on.”

Western Metropolitan Labor MP Cesar Melhem urged residents to send their objections to the council before the April deadline.

“We can shout and fight at each other and who’s going to win? Boral.”

Ms Kairouz said the council had let people down. “I’m quite disappointed that Melton City Council has not brought this amendment to the public,” she said. “I’ve spoken to many people and they’ve said they’ve received nothing in their letterbox..”

A committee of 10 residents will be formed to create further awareness.

A Boral spokesman said the company was improving its gas extraction systems and had no immediate plans to increase the amount of waste it received.

He said nothing had changed with regards to the company’s expansion application since late last year.

» To report pollution to EPA: 1300 372 842

Digital Editions


  • Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times in Brimbank increased slightly during the last quarter, according to the latest data released by Ambulance Victoria (AV). In the October to…

More News

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to help the continued…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and quite often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project,…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without a clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from…

  • Multicultural health committee expanded

    Multicultural health committee expanded

    Victoria’s Multicultural Health Advisory Committee has been expanded in an effort to make the state’s health system more inclusive and increasingly diverse. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas unveiled the strengthened and…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north and west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…

  • More than four walls

    More than four walls

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 530350 For people who are socially isolated, culturally diverse or part of the LGBTQIA+ community, finding a space where you feel safe and welcomed…

  • Johns’ new challenge

    Johns’ new challenge

    One door closed and another opened for new Keilor Thunder signing Matt Johns. Johns, who had been playing in Queensland, was set to play basketball overseas late last year. When…

  • Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Epilepsy Action Australia and Australian Women with Epilepsy are inviting women across the country to take part in a powerful one-day forum designed to uplift, inform and support women living…