BRIMBANK NORTH WEST
Home » Uncategorized » STATE: Victoria’s fires may have razed 50 homes

STATE: Victoria’s fires may have razed 50 homes

The number of Victorian homes destroyed by ”ferocious” fires in the past week could exceed 50, police say.

Chief Commissioner Ken Lay confirmed the loss of 34 houses on Tuesday, but forecast that tally could rise in the coming days.

”We have advised that another 20 houses may be destroyed, otherwise unconfirmed until we get people into the fire scene,” he said

At the Mickleham and Kilmore fire, hundreds of homes are believed to have been affected and at least 12 have burnt down.

Fire Services Commissioner Craig Lapsley said the blaze that started at the weekend had been difficult to control. It burnt across vast plains of grassland where it threatened urban housing estates, and over hills as it spread north and through bushland.

PICTURE GALLERY: Gisborne fires

PICTURE GALLERY: Reader pictures

PICTURE GALLERY: Mickleham fires

After winds picked up on Monday afternoon the fire’s reach had grown to 23,000-plus hectares.

At the Kilmore CFA station, fire division commander Greg Murphy said many houses in the fire’s path still remained upright despite some damage. ”And with a little bit of work will be habitable,” he said.

But authorities have warned that for at least the next six weeks the blaze could still pose problems.

”The fires are burning into very very difficult terrain for us to work in. The hills, the valleys, the rocky areas will make it extremely difficult to extinguish completely. We will need to remain vigilant for the next six to seven weeks,” Mr Murphy said.

On Tuesday afternoon 18 fires spanning 180,000 hectares were still burning across Victoria, including major fires in the Latrobe Valley and East Gippsland. Homes lost include seven in Kilmore, four in Mickleham, three in Warrandyte, three in Martins Creek, two in Goongerah, two in Wunghnu, two in Glenaladale and one each in Beveridge, Yarram and Walpa.

As smoke wafted across the state, Mr Lapsley said some people were calling triple zero wrongly believing there was a fire nearby.

”There’s smoke now spread over a broad area extending into central Victoria and also back in the metropolitan area and people need to be mindful of that.”

Police said up to 16 of the recent fires had been deliberately lit, with nine confirmed as arson. Two boys, aged 11 and nine, have been spoken to by police or cautioned over Sunday’s Long Gully fire in Bendigo.

Premier Denis Napthine said the authorities needed to do more research on why people deliberately lit fires after saying the state had a ”serious issue with arsonists”. Knowing some people were lighting fires during such dangerous and extreme conditions was ”an absolutely outrageous and sick-to-the-stomach feeling”, he said.

Digital Editions


  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Brimbank are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and windy…

More News

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    Star Weekly looks back at the pages of our predecessors… 40 years ago 26 February, 1986 Angry Deer Park residents have slammed the federal government’s $6 million Kororoit Creek beautification…

  • Eagles looking for consistency

    Eagles looking for consistency

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 520809 Sunshine Eagles know they need to be on their A-grade game for the rest of the Baseball Victoria summer league premier 1 first…

  • Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times in Brimbank increased slightly during the last quarter, according to the latest data released by Ambulance Victoria (AV). In the October to December period, Brimbank patients waited…

  • Blood donation pop-up

    Blood donation pop-up

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532439 Locals are being invited to roll up their sleeves and give blood as Lifeblood hosts a blood donation popup in Sunshine early next…

  • Love is in the air

    Love is in the air

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533993 Couples at Doutta Galla Aged Care facility in Sunshine were treated to a romantic lunch date on Thursday 12 February ahead of Valentine’s…

  • My place

    My place

    Wasi Abidi grew up in Melton before moving to St Albans. Benefitting from a western scholarships program through Western Chances, Mr Abidi told Jack O’Shea-Ayres about home life, education and…

  • Georgies top flight return

    Georgies top flight return

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534346 It was a day almost eight years in the making for Caroline Springs George Cross on Saturday. The Georgies made their return to…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to help the continued…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and quite often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project,…