BRIMBANK NORTH WEST
Home » Uncategorized » LORNE: Shark sighting prompts beach evacuation

LORNE: Shark sighting prompts beach evacuation

Swimmers fled for their lives after a shark alarm forced the evacuation of hundreds of beach-goers from a popular Victorian beach following the sighting of a four-metre shark only 200 metres from the shore.

Only hours after the Lorne sighting, a member of the public reported another shark, this time off the coast of an unpatrolled beach near Anglesea.

A Surf Life Saving Victoria spokeswoman said a boat was dispatched to investigate the sighting but life savers were unable to verify the report.

Lorne Surf Life Saving Club patrol captain Nick Roffey said a Westpac lifesaving helicopter spotted the giant shark swimming about 200 to 300 metres from the shore about midday on Sunday.

The helicopter notified the surf life saving club, which immediately sounded the alarm. 

‘‘People swam back within a minute, minute-and-a-half – we had everyone cleared out really quickly,’’ Mr Roffey told Fairfax Media. 

‘‘We sent out the inflatable rescue boat to shoo the shark away, and eventually got it swimming past the pier and around the back of Lorne.’’

When asked what type of shark it was, one lifesaver who had been out on the water in a dinghy replied: ‘‘I dunno mate, but it was massive’’. 

Linden De Ridder, 27, and 29-year-old Katie McInnes, of Chelsea, were swimming more than 300 metres offshore on a stand-up paddle board when the shark alarms went off.

‘‘We saw the helicopter and at first, I thought I surely must have been in trouble,’’ said Mr De Ridder.

‘‘We just watched the helicopter for a while, then we heard the alarms and saw the lifeguards waving flags on the beach, and that’s when I thought, ‘shark!’”

Mr De Ridder swam back to shore alongside Katie, while thousands on the beach watched the helicopter, and the shark, get closer.

‘‘I have never swum so fast – fear is a great motivator,’’ Mr De Ridder said. 

Local surf lifesavers were impressed.

‘‘He should have been here a couple of weeks ago for the Pier to Pub [swim],” said one.

“Swimming like that, he would have won $10,000.’’

Local surf lifesavers said it was more than 20 years since Lorne beach had been evacuated because of a shark. 

Mr Roffey said ‘‘it’s been a long time since a shark has been sighted at Lorne’’.

‘‘It’s definitely not in my recent memory … but it looked like the shark was just following the coast along and swam in,’’ he said. 

Reports of shark sightings and attacks have recently intensified as the West Australian government introduced a controversial culling program last week after the deaths of seven people in shark attacks in WA waters over the past three years.

The first shark was caught and killed on Australia Day by a commercial fisherman, who shot the three-metre tiger shark one kilometre off Old Dunsborough in the state’s south-west. 

The culling program has drawn angry reactions from conservationists, and protests have been held in at least 10 locations across the nation, from the NSW central coast to Adelaide, Melbourne, Hobart and Cottesloe, Broome and Perth in WA.

Protests were also been held in New Zealand and South Africa.

The protests came hours after an under-size two-metre shark, believed to be a tiger shark, was pulled from a baited drum line off Perth’s Leighton Beach by fisheries officers.

The animal – the second to be killed under the program – was dumped further offshore.

The culling program has gone ahead after federal Environment Minister Greg Hunt granted Western Australia an exemption under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act allowing the state to hunt sharks.

The exemption allows it to hunt great white sharks, which are flagged as “vulnerable” on the International Union for the Conservation of Nature’s Red List of Threatened Species and are protected by the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species.

Digital Editions


  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Brimbank are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and windy…

More News

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    Star Weekly looks back at the pages of our predecessors… 40 years ago 26 February, 1986 Angry Deer Park residents have slammed the federal government’s $6 million Kororoit Creek beautification…

  • Eagles looking for consistency

    Eagles looking for consistency

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 520809 Sunshine Eagles know they need to be on their A-grade game for the rest of the Baseball Victoria summer league premier 1 first…

  • Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times in Brimbank increased slightly during the last quarter, according to the latest data released by Ambulance Victoria (AV). In the October to December period, Brimbank patients waited…

  • Blood donation pop-up

    Blood donation pop-up

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532439 Locals are being invited to roll up their sleeves and give blood as Lifeblood hosts a blood donation popup in Sunshine early next…

  • Love is in the air

    Love is in the air

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533993 Couples at Doutta Galla Aged Care facility in Sunshine were treated to a romantic lunch date on Thursday 12 February ahead of Valentine’s…

  • My place

    My place

    Wasi Abidi grew up in Melton before moving to St Albans. Benefitting from a western scholarships program through Western Chances, Mr Abidi told Jack O’Shea-Ayres about home life, education and…

  • Georgies top flight return

    Georgies top flight return

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534346 It was a day almost eight years in the making for Caroline Springs George Cross on Saturday. The Georgies made their return to…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to help the continued…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and quite often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project,…