BRIMBANK NORTH WEST
Home » Uncategorized » TYPHOON: Death toll ‘may reach 10,000’

TYPHOON: Death toll ‘may reach 10,000’

Up to 10,000 people are feared dead from Super Typhoon Haiyan as survivors tell of huge tsunami-type storm surges whipped up by near record winds that swept away entire Philippine villages.

The storm weakened over the South China Sea early Sunday before heading to central and northern Vietnam where it could affect one million more people.

Philippine president President Benigno Aquino said one of his country’s deadliest recorded natural disasters left him ‘‘speechless’’ and warned Filipinos to expect mass casualties.

Interior Secretary Manuel Roxas described damage similar to a tsunami in Tacloban, a city of 220,000 on Leyte island 580 kilometres southeast of Manila, which bore the brunt of the storm.

‘‘From the shore and moving a kilometre inland, there are no structures standing. It’s like a tsunami,’’ Mr Roxas sai,d after flying over the area in a helicopter.

‘‘I don’t know how to describe what I saw. It’s horrific,’’ he said.

Bodies are floating amid debris, corpses are hanging from trees and roads are blocked by trees, tangled power lines and flattened houses.

Regional police chief Elmer Soria said he had been told the Leyte provincial governor Dominic Petilla had estimated the number of deaths at about 10,000, based on reports from village officials.

‘‘We had a meeting last night with the governor and the other officials. The governor said, based on their estimate, 10,000 died,’’ Mr Soria told Reuters.

The national government and disaster agency has not confirmed the estimate, a sharp increase from initial estimates of up to 1,200 killed that were made before the extent of the massive devastation became apparent.

Haiyan hit with 315 kilometre per hour winds that sounded like a jumbo jet across a 600-kilometre stretch of Philippine islands.

Most of the deaths were caused by storm surges.

‘‘The water was as high as a coconut tree,’’ said 44 year-old Sandy Torotoro, a bicycle taxi driver who lives near the airport with his eight year-old daughter.

‘‘I was swept away by the water rampaging with logs, trees and our house was ripped off from its moorings,’’ he said.

Lynette Lim from Save the Children who survived by sheltering under tables amid shattering glass in a building near Tacloban said residents have lost everything and were so desperate for food, water and medicines they resorted to looting shops and pharmacies.

‘‘They had no option,’’ Ms Lim told Fairfax Media after flying from Leyte to Manila on a military plane on Sunday.

Many shops in Tacloban were looted with people seen carrying away flat-screen televisions, food items and even a Christmas tree.

Only 100 of the city’s 2,000 employees have reported for work.

‘‘Everyone is attending to their families,’’  said Tecson John Lim, the city administrator.

Ms Lim said locals told her that some coastal villages southeast of Tacloban were even more devastated than the city.

She said she was forced to move from room to room in an Education Department compound as rooms gave way to the force of the storm.

‘‘When I eventually could come outside I saw dead bodies on the road and people were carrying bodies from buildings,’’ she said.

‘‘The situation is dire,’’ she said.

On Busuanga, the last island battered by the typhoon before it blew away to the South China Sea, which is also called the West Philippine Sea, Vice Mayor Jim Pe said most of the houses and buildings were destroyed.

‘‘It was like a 747 flying just above my roof,’’ he said.

By late Sunday rescuers still had not reached some remote villages in the affected area, including Guiun on Samar island where 40,000 were living.

The World Food Programme said it was lifting 40 tonnes of high energy biscuits, enough to feed 120,000 people for a day.

The US military has promised to send search and rescue helicopters and other support to assist the rescue operation.

United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon promised that UN humanitarian agencies would respond rapidly.

Vietnam was bracing for sea surges, torrential rain and flooding as Haiyan made landfall in its central provinces, including tourist destinations areas like Danang City where an estimated 200,000 people have moved to higher ground.

It was expected to make landfall early Monday before moving to the northern part of the country before likely weakening into a tropical storm.

‘‘We’re preparing for dangerous winds, flash flooding and significant damage to infrastructure,’’ said Tuan Doan, Save the Children’s Country Director in Vietnam. 

Vietnamese authorities in four central provinces were evacuating more than 600,000 people from high-risk areas to government buildings, schools and concrete homes able to withstand strong winds.

‘‘The evacuation is being conducted with urgency,’’ said disaster official Nguyen Thi Yen Linh from Danang city.

Hundreds of thousands of others were moved to shelters in the provinces of Quang Ngai, Quang Nam and Thua Thien Hue.

Digital Editions


  • Women’s history centre stage

    Women’s history centre stage

    A special one-off theatrical performance is coming to the Kyneton Town Hall in celebration of International Women’s Day. In 2026, the theme for International Women’s…

More News

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher distracted-driving and seatbelt enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will soon become…

  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the frequency of targeted attacks,…

  • Festival for all abilities

    Festival for all abilities

    Ability Fest is returning to Melbourne on April 11, 2026, with a new focus on industrial venue accessibility at The Timber Yard in Port Melbourne. The event marks a shift…

  • The sport of kings in Werribee

    The sport of kings in Werribee

    What many call the sport of kings will be on full display at Werribee Park as the historic Urquhart Cup polo tournament gallops into town on Sunday 1 March. More…

  • Lions through

    Lions through

    Deer Park will be hoping to go one better after winning through to the Victorian Turf Cricket Association group A T20 grand finals. Last year’s runners-up, the Lions sent a…

  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Hillside man arrested

    Hillside man arrested

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 Police arrested a 19-year old Hillside man and seized drugs and cash following a crash in Port Melbourne on Thursday 19 February. Officers…

  • Brimbank scientist nominated for award

    Brimbank scientist nominated for award

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534495 Brimbank resident Yemima Ehrnst has been nominated for the 7NEWS Young Achiever Awards (YAA) for her work furthering investigations in green energy. As…

  • Concerns over proposed facility

    Concerns over proposed facility

    A new application for a pork rendering facility in Laverton North has raised concerns among Brimbank residents, who fear it could worsen ongoing odour issues in the area. Submitted by…