BRIMBANK NORTH WEST
Home » Uncategorized » St Albans crossing cash ‘sent to marginal seats’

St Albans crossing cash ‘sent to marginal seats’

THE 2013-14 state budget has delivered a mixed bag for Melbourne’s western suburbs and funding for many items was announced before the papers were officially released last week.

Tabling the Napthine government’s first budget last Tuesday, Treasurer Michael O’Brien confirmed funding for dental care and the west’s first dedicated P-12 autism school, at Laverton.

But Labor MPs argued Brimbank and the north-west had been overlooked, with no specific funding allocated to new schools and public transport services.

Before the budget, the government announced $52 million to begin planning and works at seven dangerous level crossings in Melbourne, including the deadly Main Road crossing in St Albans.

But work to remove the crossing is unlikely to begin this year, with no additional funding allocated.

Dianne Dejanovic, whose son Christian died after being hit by a train at the crossing last year, said she was disgusted the government had neglected to fund the $180 million needed to remove the railway.

Post your comments below

Earlier this month, the Weekly reported the state government had turned down $90 million from the federal government to fund half the removal of the crossing.

“There have been more deaths at this single crossing than at any other crossing in Victoria,” Ms Dejanovic said. 

“The deaths continue to stack up, but it’s falling on deaf ears. This is a political decision by the government to pool funding in marginal seats. Until this crossing is removed people’s lives will remain at risk, there will be more deaths and more heartache,” she said.

Derrimut Labor MP Telmo Languiller said it was disappointing that funds were allocated only for planning, not construction. “Over $450 million has now been cut from public transport since the Coalition took government.”

Western Metropolitan Liberal MP Bernie Finn defended the budget and said the money allocated would “kick-start much needed planning and works” at the crossing.

The budget controversially included $294 million over two years for the eastern stage of the east-west link, defying calls to start work in the traffic-choked west.

Western Metropolitan Liberal MP Andrew Elsbury defended the decision to fund the eastern section first. 

“We had to start somewhere. We have got this first stage under way and that will improve traffic by diverting people away from the M1 corridor.”

—With Benjamin Millar

Digital Editions


  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Brimbank are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and windy…

More News

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    Star Weekly looks back at the pages of our predecessors… 40 years ago 26 February, 1986 Angry Deer Park residents have slammed the federal government’s $6 million Kororoit Creek beautification…

  • Eagles looking for consistency

    Eagles looking for consistency

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 520809 Sunshine Eagles know they need to be on their A-grade game for the rest of the Baseball Victoria summer league premier 1 first…

  • Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times in Brimbank increased slightly during the last quarter, according to the latest data released by Ambulance Victoria (AV). In the October to December period, Brimbank patients waited…

  • Blood donation pop-up

    Blood donation pop-up

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532439 Locals are being invited to roll up their sleeves and give blood as Lifeblood hosts a blood donation popup in Sunshine early next…

  • Love is in the air

    Love is in the air

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533993 Couples at Doutta Galla Aged Care facility in Sunshine were treated to a romantic lunch date on Thursday 12 February ahead of Valentine’s…

  • My place

    My place

    Wasi Abidi grew up in Melton before moving to St Albans. Benefitting from a western scholarships program through Western Chances, Mr Abidi told Jack O’Shea-Ayres about home life, education and…

  • Georgies top flight return

    Georgies top flight return

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534346 It was a day almost eight years in the making for Caroline Springs George Cross on Saturday. The Georgies made their return to…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to help the continued…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and quite often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project,…