BRIMBANK NORTH WEST
Home » Uncategorized » West’s councils plead for funds

West’s councils plead for funds

A DELEGATION of western suburbs leaders have laid out their wishlists in Canberra with the hope of snaring concrete commitments before the September 14 election.

Boosting their budgets for roads, schools, hospitals and job creation in Melbourne’s west was the aim of the group of mayors and council CEOs, led by peak body LeadWest.

With 172 days until Australians go the polls, key local government representatives from Brimbank, Melton, Wyndham, Moonee Valley and Hobsons Bay made the trip to the capital last week to meet with Maribyrnong MP Bill Shorten, Gorton MP Brendan O’Connor, Gellibrand MP Nicola Roxon and Lalor MP Julia Gillard.

LeadWest chief executive Anton Mayer said the top priority for the west was federal funding to bankroll the proposed east-west link.

Opposition leader Tony Abbott pledged last June to funnel $1.5 billion into the 18-kilometre project, which will link the Eastern Freeway, CityLink and the Western Ring Road, and include a second Maribyrnong River crossing.

Ms Gillard said the meeting had been productive, adding that sustaining Melbourne’s west needed to be a focus of all tiers of government.

The delegation also met with Coalition childcare spokeswoman Sussan Ley, health spokesman Peter Dutton and infrastructure spokesman Warren Truss.

Wyndham mayor Heather Marcus said huge population growth in the west was adding to congestion on roads, overcrowding on public transport and lengthy waiting in hospitals. “This problem is being exacerbated by the lack of substantial federal and state government funding for infrastructure.”

Mr Mayer said two days of meetings were to “make sure the west of Melbourne is on the screen for everybody”, regardless of who wins office.

“We won’t be going home with a $100 million project in our pockets, but we’ve sewn the seeds and reinforced our message.”

Digital Editions


  • From the archives

    From the archives

    Star Weekly looks back at the pages of our predecessors… 40 years ago 26 February, 1986 Angry Deer Park residents have slammed the federal government’s…

More News

  • My place

    My place

    Wasi Abidi grew up in Melton before moving to St Albans. Benefitting from a western scholarships program through Western Chances, Mr Abidi told Jack O’Shea-Ayres about home life, education and…

  • Georgies top flight return

    Georgies top flight return

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534346 It was a day almost eight years in the making for Caroline Springs George Cross on Saturday. The Georgies made their return to…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to help the continued…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and quite often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project,…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without a clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from…

  • Multicultural health committee expanded

    Multicultural health committee expanded

    Victoria’s Multicultural Health Advisory Committee has been expanded in an effort to make the state’s health system more inclusive and increasingly diverse. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas unveiled the strengthened and…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north and west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…

  • More than four walls

    More than four walls

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 530350 For people who are socially isolated, culturally diverse or part of the LGBTQIA+ community, finding a space where you feel safe and welcomed…