BRIMBANK NORTH WEST
Home » Sport » Roadrunners, Hawks to play thirds

Roadrunners, Hawks to play thirds

The Western Football League division 2 competition will be a 10 team competition this season, with two sides dropping to only having thirds sides.

When the league announced its structure last year for division 2, it was announced it would be a 12 team competition.

But the league announced on Monday that both North Sunshine and Glen Orden wouldn’t play in the division 2 competition and would play in the thirds competition, which plays on Friday nights.

“The Western Football Netball League wishes to advise that both the Glen Orden Sports Club and North Sunshine Football Club have withdrawn from fielding senior and reserve teams in this year’s division 2 men’s competition with both clubs moving to the thirds competition for 2025,” the league said on its website.

“This decision was reached following recent discussions the league had with Glen Orden and North Sunshine, and planning for the upcoming season can now go ahead with more certainty.

“The withdrawal of Glen Orden and North Sunshine will result in a 10-team division 2 men’s competition in 2025 with every club now playing each other twice (home and away).

The league said it would continue to support and work with Glen Orden and North Sunshine this year with both clubs hopefully of returning to the division 2 men’s competition in the future.

The Roadrunners have struggled in the division 2 competition in recent years with its most recent win coming in 2021.

Last season, they lost all but one match by more than 100 points and had several 200 point losses.

The club announced recently that two-time best and fairest winner Aaron Foster would captain the side and Taylor Sammut would be his deputy this year.

Glen Orden had been hoping to return to the division 2 competition this season.

The club’s senior football program went into recess for the 2023 season after not being able to field seniors and reserves sides.

Last season, they fielded a thirds side with an eye on returning to Saturday football and having two sides this year. The Hawks finished sixth in thirds competition last year.

The departures of the two sides will leave division 2 at 10 teams.

Last season there were 14 teams in division 2. Sunshine, Albion and Newport were all promoted into division 1 for this year, while Point Cook avoided relegated from division 1 after finishing last.

A new division 2 fixture was on released Monday as well.

In the opening round, the Suns will face Wyndhamvale, North Footscray will host Braybrook, West Footscray is at home to Laverton, Tarneit will play Albanvale and Sunshine Heights will take on the Western Rams.

Digital Editions


  • Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times in Brimbank increased slightly during the last quarter, according to the latest data released by Ambulance Victoria (AV). In the October to…

More News

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to help the continued…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and quite often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project,…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without a clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from…

  • Multicultural health committee expanded

    Multicultural health committee expanded

    Victoria’s Multicultural Health Advisory Committee has been expanded in an effort to make the state’s health system more inclusive and increasingly diverse. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas unveiled the strengthened and…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north and west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…

  • More than four walls

    More than four walls

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 530350 For people who are socially isolated, culturally diverse or part of the LGBTQIA+ community, finding a space where you feel safe and welcomed…

  • Johns’ new challenge

    Johns’ new challenge

    One door closed and another opened for new Keilor Thunder signing Matt Johns. Johns, who had been playing in Queensland, was set to play basketball overseas late last year. When…

  • Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Epilepsy Action Australia and Australian Women with Epilepsy are inviting women across the country to take part in a powerful one-day forum designed to uplift, inform and support women living…