BRIMBANK NORTH WEST
Home » Sport » Cougars stunning fightback

Cougars stunning fightback

It was a rollercoaster for Sunshine YCW on the opening day of its Victorian Turf Cricket Association Clark Shield match with Barkly St Uniting, ending in the side claiming first innings points.

The Cougars and Barkly St Uniting traded momentum on the first day of play as the bowlers took control.

It ended with the Cougars sneaking home for first innings points and putting themselves in a good position heading into day two.

Cougars’ secretary Rory O’Connor said it was a good day for the club and it had been a strong start to the season.

“The firsts got first innings points, the seconds are in a strong position and the thirds won,” he said.

“So far, so good. Last week we pushed it to the end and fought our way to get the win. Yesterday [Saturday] was a pretty rollercoaster day.”

The Cougars won the toss and decided to bat.

There were a lot of starts at the top of the order but no one went on with it and they were bowled out for 111 in the 36th over.

Heshan Umendra top scored with 30.

Barkly Street got off to a solid start and were looking good until Matthew Williams took control of the game.

He took 5-24 off his 13 overs to help skittle Barkly St Uniting out for just 91 allowing the Cougars to claim first innings points.

O’Connor said they thought they were done for and now they’re on top.

“We were in a bit of trouble,” he said. “Matthew Williams did what he does and took five wickets to get us back into the match around tea time.

“It wasn’t looking like that at the start. With this group of guys we’re never out of it and they fight until the final ball and make the opposition earn each run.”

The Cougars will resume at 1-8 after batting for two overs. Max Weise is the man out.

O’Connor said they would like to assess the conditions on day two and then decide whether they look at the outright.

“We’ll look to put a big total on the board and give ourselves every chance to get the 10 points,” he said.

“It’ll depend on the condition of the wicket and we’ll make the decision on the day.”

After making finals in their first season in the Evans Clark Shield, O’Connor said they wanted to go even further this season.

“We made an impact last year and we were one wicket away from a grand final and back-to-back grand finals,” he said.

“We want to go as far as we can. We’ve recruited really well and there’s guys with a lot of experience.

“It’s good for the whole squad and everyone’s competing for spots. We definitely think we can (have an impact).”

In other matches, Sunshine Heights was bowled out for 158 against East Coburg. East Coburg will resume at 2-87.

Digital Editions


  • Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times in Brimbank increased slightly during the last quarter, according to the latest data released by Ambulance Victoria (AV). In the October to…

More News

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to help the continued…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and quite often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project,…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without a clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from…

  • Multicultural health committee expanded

    Multicultural health committee expanded

    Victoria’s Multicultural Health Advisory Committee has been expanded in an effort to make the state’s health system more inclusive and increasingly diverse. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas unveiled the strengthened and…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north and west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…

  • More than four walls

    More than four walls

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 530350 For people who are socially isolated, culturally diverse or part of the LGBTQIA+ community, finding a space where you feel safe and welcomed…

  • Johns’ new challenge

    Johns’ new challenge

    One door closed and another opened for new Keilor Thunder signing Matt Johns. Johns, who had been playing in Queensland, was set to play basketball overseas late last year. When…

  • Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Epilepsy Action Australia and Australian Women with Epilepsy are inviting women across the country to take part in a powerful one-day forum designed to uplift, inform and support women living…