BRIMBANK NORTH WEST
Home » News » Weapons arrest raises Melton anti-Islam rally fears

Weapons arrest raises Melton anti-Islam rally fears

A Braybrook man has been charged with weapons offences after police received intelligence that several people were planning to bring weapons to an anti-immigration rally at Melton on Sunday.

Phillip Galea, 31, of Braybrook, was arrested on Thursday morning on suspicion of possessing explosives.

Investigators arrested Mr Galea in Ballarat Road about 8.30am.

A short time later he was taken to a nearby house in Ballarat Road where a search warrant was executed and the premises searched.

Police are still investigating several other people in the lead-up to what is feared could be a violent clash between the anti-Islam group Reclaim Australian and pro-immigration group No Room for Racism.

Mr Galea was charged on Thursday evening with one count of possessing a prohibited weapon and one count of possessing a precursor chemical.

Phillip GaleaPhillip Galea Photo: Facebook

Mr Galea appeared at an out-of-sessions hearing at City West police complex on Thursday night.

Detective Leading Senior Constable Brett Parker of the arson and explosives squad told the hearing police had executed two search warrants on Mr Galea’s home.

Tasers found

In the kitchen, he said police found a fabric bag containing five taser guns.

Describing the devices, Leading Senior Constable Parker said “it’s almost like a cattle prod. It’s designed to maim and disable someone.”

On the floor of the study, he said police found a glass bottle containing a silver-grey substance, which  two arson chemists called to the scene believed was mercury, a precursor chemical for drug manufacture.

Leading Senior Constable Parker said a “cursory examination” by officers from the e-crime squad found on data storage devices a large amount of information related to the manufacture of explosives.

The search also found material related to the United Patriots Front, and a document called  The Anarchist Cookbook, the hearing was told.

Mr Galea told the hearing he had no intention of harming anyone.

“At the moment, I’m actively involved in the patriots movement, which is why there would have been an awful amount of material,” he said.

He was remanded in custody to appear in court at a later date.

Earlier on Thursday, as he was led to a police car, Mr Galea told Channel Seven: “Every Australian should attend Sunday’s anti-mosque rally, it’s our responsibility as Australians.”

Asked why, he replied: “Look what’s happened in France.”

Assistant Commissioner Stephen Leane​ confirmed several other people were in custody.

Following the terrorists attack in Paris on November 13, police have reassessed their approach to the expected clash and have urged those planning to attend to remain peaceful.

“Two opposing groups [will] come together and there are individuals within that group whose views are extreme.

“What we’re asking from anyone coming to the rally on Sunday, no matter which views you hold, is that you rally or demonstrate peacefully and that you think through what message you are trying to send,” he said, adding that the police presence would be “sufficient” .

The right-wing Reclaim Australia is planning to hold a protest in Melton on Sunday to protest against a planned mosque in Melton West and an Islamic school at a Victoria University campus.

A counter-rally by what the police called “socialist left” groups is expected.

This weekend’s rally will be the fourth confrontation between both sides this year, with two held in Bendigo and one in Melbourne’s CBD.

All three clashes have resulted in significant violence, with multiple arrests made and people injured.

-with Alana Schetzer and Aisha Dow/The Age

 

Digital Editions


  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Brimbank are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and windy…

More News

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    Star Weekly looks back at the pages of our predecessors… 40 years ago 26 February, 1986 Angry Deer Park residents have slammed the federal government’s $6 million Kororoit Creek beautification…

  • Eagles looking for consistency

    Eagles looking for consistency

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 520809 Sunshine Eagles know they need to be on their A-grade game for the rest of the Baseball Victoria summer league premier 1 first…

  • Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times in Brimbank increased slightly during the last quarter, according to the latest data released by Ambulance Victoria (AV). In the October to December period, Brimbank patients waited…

  • Blood donation pop-up

    Blood donation pop-up

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532439 Locals are being invited to roll up their sleeves and give blood as Lifeblood hosts a blood donation popup in Sunshine early next…

  • Love is in the air

    Love is in the air

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533993 Couples at Doutta Galla Aged Care facility in Sunshine were treated to a romantic lunch date on Thursday 12 February ahead of Valentine’s…

  • My place

    My place

    Wasi Abidi grew up in Melton before moving to St Albans. Benefitting from a western scholarships program through Western Chances, Mr Abidi told Jack O’Shea-Ayres about home life, education and…

  • Georgies top flight return

    Georgies top flight return

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534346 It was a day almost eight years in the making for Caroline Springs George Cross on Saturday. The Georgies made their return to…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to help the continued…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and quite often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project,…