BRIMBANK NORTH WEST
Home » News » Taylors Hill phone tower dispute goes to VCAT

Taylors Hill phone tower dispute goes to VCAT

Taylors Hill residents are continuing their fight against a mobile phone tower close to their homes.

The campaign vow follows Vodafone’s decision to take Melton council to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal after the telco was denied a permit.

Earlier this year, Star Weekly revealed plans by construction company Daly International, representing Vodafone and Optus, to erect a 25-metre mobile phone tower at a reserve commonly known as the Melbourne water tank reserve.

Similar plans for the reserve by Orange and Telstra were defeated in 2001 and 2005.

Melton council refused Daly International a permit to erect a mobile phone tower following 53 objections to the application, along with a petition with 134 signatures.

But last month, residents received a letter from law firm K&L Gates, representing Vodafone, about an application lodged at VCAT to review Melton council’s refusal for a planning permit.

Resident Stavroula Singh, who has been spearheading the campaign against the tower, said she was “frustrated” but not shocked Vodafone would take the matter to the tribunal.

“I know residents are concerned and we are looking at what our options are in terms of the case going to VCAT,” Ms Singh said.

“[Vodafone] has the right to take it further, but it’s definitely frustrating that we’re having to again show why we think this location is not suitable.”

Ms Singh said residents were not opposed to a mobile phone tower in Taylors Hill but were worried about the proximity of the proposed location to residential homes.

The site plan submitted by Vodafone to Melton council showed the proposed site for the tower was behind numbers 23 and 25 on Timele Drive.

A Vodafone spokeswoman said “extensive” site selection processes were carried out and the proposed location was found to be the “most suitable in order to improve mobile services”.

“The Melton area has one of the highest rankings in Australia for complaints to the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman for poor mobile coverage, and we’re committed to improving services for local residents and businesses,” she said.

A VCAT hearing has been set for 10am on March 31, 2016.

People wanting to make a submission to council or VCAT must do so before Tuesday, November 10.

Digital Editions


  • Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Australia’s beloved alt-rock power trio Eskimo Joe are sure to have audiences up on their feet when they headline the Lincoln Park Twilight Festival. Held…

More News

  • Five arrested following Deanside pursuit and crash

    Five arrested following Deanside pursuit and crash

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 Police have arrested five teenagers after an incident where a male was allegedly assaulted and dragged into a vehicle before being involved in…

  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death the following day. Her attacker…

  • CPR presentation

    CPR presentation

    Brimbank locals can join Ambulance Victoria for a friendly and helpful session about keeping young children healthy and safe. The ‘call, push, shock’ (CPR) presentation, for parents, carers, and anyone…

  • Community garden produce stolen

    Community garden produce stolen

    Volunteers at Horseshoe Bend Community Group (HBCG) have been left shocked after a large quantity of ripened vegetables were stolen from a community garden. President Cynthia Frain said the theft…

  • Faces of the west

    Faces of the west

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532699 Each week Star Weekly photographers are out and about capturing events and people across the west.

  • Parkers run over

    Parkers run over

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 449514 For the first time in five seasons, there will be no Deer Park in the Bowls Victoria weekend pennant premier division grand final.…

  • My Place

    My Place

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533986 Kate Newitt is the principal of the recently de-merged Hillside Primary School. She spoke to Sam Porter about her role and her connection…

  • Ardeer grassfire, smoke warning

    Ardeer grassfire, smoke warning

    Firefighters responded to a grassfire on Ballarat Road in Ardeer on the afternoon of Tuesday 17 February. Crews arrived on scene to find a grass and scrub fire burning across…

  • Seedlings for schools

    Seedlings for schools

    Public and private early learning centres, family day cares and schools within Brimbank can sign up for the autumn rollout of the ’veggie seedlings in schools’ program to receive a…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Brimbank are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and windy conditions. Authorities have warned that…