BRIMBANK NORTH WEST
Home » News » Unused permits leave valuable parking spaces vacant

Unused permits leave valuable parking spaces vacant

A Sunshine resident says there is a parking shortfall in the CBD, with almost 100 Sunshine Plaza car spaces that were allocated for construction workers not being used.

Motorist Ivan Guglak told Star Weekly he copped a $91 fine for accidentally parking in a spot reserved for construction workers in the plaza’s underground carpark.

The council currently leases 99 car places for workers, but Mr Guglak believes tradies are parking elsewhere. This is leaving designated spots empty, he said.

“These tradies are parking on the street and in other parking bays – not in these designated paid for permit areas. They’re using up public parking areas because it’s more convenient,” Mr Guglak said.

“The council is quick to collect additional money, but why not spend some to provide signage that doesn’t blend in with the surrounds but clearly highlights at entry [that] there are permit parking zones.

“So while we residents struggle for parking in Sunshine, a third of the plaza carpark is converted to permit parking and sits empty.

“And when we, the ratepayers, park in these empty bays, the council double dips and issues parking infringement notices to the tune of $91.”

Council infrastructure and environment director Neil Whiteside said while workers had been instructed to park in the allocated spots, there was no restriction on them parking elsewhere.

“Adequate signage, which meets the legal designated standards required for council to enforce restrictions, has been posted throughout the parking facility and at both entrances,” he said.

“Temporary public car parks have also been created on George Street to minimise the impact on parking during construction.

“Council appreciates the patience and understanding of carpark users and other visitors while these works are under way.”

Mr Whiteside said it was too early to say what kind of time limits would be set on parking in the new multi-deck carpark, which is part of the $52million community and civic centre development. These limits would be part of a management plan due in mid-2016.

Digital Editions


  • From the archives

    From the archives

    Star Weekly looks back at the pages of our predecessors… 40 years ago 26 February, 1986 Angry Deer Park residents have slammed the federal government’s…

More News

  • My place

    My place

    Wasi Abidi grew up in Melton before moving to St Albans. Benefitting from a western scholarships program through Western Chances, Mr Abidi told Jack O’Shea-Ayres about home life, education and…

  • Georgies top flight return

    Georgies top flight return

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534346 It was a day almost eight years in the making for Caroline Springs George Cross on Saturday. The Georgies made their return to…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to help the continued…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and quite often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project,…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without a clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from…

  • Multicultural health committee expanded

    Multicultural health committee expanded

    Victoria’s Multicultural Health Advisory Committee has been expanded in an effort to make the state’s health system more inclusive and increasingly diverse. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas unveiled the strengthened and…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north and west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…

  • More than four walls

    More than four walls

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 530350 For people who are socially isolated, culturally diverse or part of the LGBTQIA+ community, finding a space where you feel safe and welcomed…