BRIMBANK NORTH WEST
Home » News » Sibel Ali’s fight to let son ‘rest’

Sibel Ali’s fight to let son ‘rest’

Sibel Ali was looking forward to giving birth to her son, Aydin. But several weeks before he was due to arrive, the heavily pregnant woman was rushed to hospital with a viral infection.

The Taylors Hill resident hadn’t felt Aydin move all morning. A sonographer at the Epworth Freemasons hospital broke the bad news – there was no heartbeat.

Aydin was delivered stillborn on February 3. He was buried at the Fawkner Memorial Park on February 11.

“We wanted a proper burial site for him,” Ms Ali said. “We were given the option to bury Aydin in a mass [baby] grave but that wasn’t an option for us – we wanted a proper grave for him.

“We were given the option of a smaller size grave … we specifically asked if monuments could be erected, and they said, ‘Yes’.”

Upon making payment for the plot, Ms Ali says she was given details of stonemasons in the area. But when the family was ready to erect a headstone for their son, Ms Ali and her husband, Cemil, were told monuments weren’t allowed in the section where Aydin was buried.

After to-ing and fro-ing, Ms Ali, a Muslim, says Fawkner Memorial Park employees told her monuments weren’t allowed in that section due to religious reasons – despite thousands of Muslims being buried there and their graves having headstones.

“It’s a traumatising time as it is and this just makes things more stressful,” Ms Ali said.

“I’m not asking for very much – I’m just asking for us to be allowed to have a resting place for our son.

“What we’ve been given – the option to have a plaque – is basically something that really has no value to us.”

Jacqui Weatherill, chief executive of Greater Metropolitan Cemeteries Trust that manages Fawkner Memorial Park, said that while families were allowed to erect monuments in “many areas” of the cemetery, some sections had been allocated as no-monument areas.

“The area the family chose in this instance is a no-monument section,” she said. “It was established many years ago in response to consultation with community leaders.”

WhenStar Weekly asked about documents that outline which sections have been declared as no-monument areas, a trust spokeswoman said: “Information about different sections, memorials, burials, etc across the 19 sites we manage is varied and as such, not written explicitly in literature.”

Digital Editions


More News

  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the frequency of targeted attacks,…

  • Festival for all abilities

    Festival for all abilities

    Ability Fest is returning to Melbourne on April 11, 2026, with a new focus on industrial venue accessibility at The Timber Yard in Port Melbourne. The event marks a shift…

  • The sport of kings in Werribee

    The sport of kings in Werribee

    What many call the sport of kings will be on full display at Werribee Park as the historic Urquhart Cup polo tournament gallops into town on Sunday 1 March. More…

  • Lions through

    Lions through

    Deer Park will be hoping to go one better after winning through to the Victorian Turf Cricket Association group A T20 grand finals. Last year’s runners-up, the Lions sent a…

  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Hillside man arrested

    Hillside man arrested

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 Police arrested a 19-year old Hillside man and seized drugs and cash following a crash in Port Melbourne on Thursday 19 February. Officers…

  • Brimbank scientist nominated for award

    Brimbank scientist nominated for award

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534495 Brimbank resident Yemima Ehrnst has been nominated for the 7NEWS Young Achiever Awards (YAA) for her work furthering investigations in green energy. As…

  • Concerns over proposed facility

    Concerns over proposed facility

    A new application for a pork rendering facility in Laverton North has raised concerns among Brimbank residents, who fear it could worsen ongoing odour issues in the area. Submitted by…

  • Festival of colour returns

    Festival of colour returns

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535459 Brimbank is set to come alive with colour, music, and community spirit as the much-loved Holi Festival returns for its third consecutive year.…

  • Watergardens parking woes

    Watergardens parking woes

    Residents have raised concerns about illegal parking and a shortage of carparks at the Watergardens precinct. Brimbank resident Neil Hunichen expressed safety concerns over motorists parking their cars on the…