Roof collapses in Sydenham house fire


Tara Murray

Two residents and their dogs have escaped a house fire in Sydenham in the early hours of Wednesday morning.

Fire crews were called to the Chittenup Bend house about 12.14am.

Firefighters arrived on scene to find the single-storey brick home fully involved in fire.

The two occupants with their two dogs managed to safely self-evacuate their burning home due to a working smoke alarm alerting them.

The roof collapsed and the house was severely damaged by the fire.

The fire took 25 minutes to bring under control.

The structure will be assessed by the local council building surveyor, with police assisting the residents with alternative accommodation.

The cause of the fire will be investigated this morning.