BRIMBANK NORTH WEST
Home » News » St Albans mum jailed for selling abalone

St Albans mum jailed for selling abalone

A major player in an illegal abalone harvesting scheme has been jailed for nearly two years.

St Albans mother of two Phong Hoai Thuy Nguyen, 41, was jailed last Wednesday for 23 months and two weeks for buying abalone from divers and then selling it in Alfrieda Street, St Albans.

Star Weekly reported in January that 10 Brimbank divers were found guilty of taking abalone and other seafood from the south-west coast of Victoria several times a week. The fish was then onsold to two alleged ringleaders, based at Cairnlea and St Albans.

The divers were either jailed, fined up to $16,500 or copped fishing bans. Four divers who were sentenced to jail have launched appeals to be heard in April.

The County Court heard last week that between March and October, 2014, fisheries officers observed Nguyen 37 times receiving deliveries of abalone at her house.

They also saw her selling the abalone and other illegally poached seafood from a shopping trolley outside a grocery store 27 times.

Nguyen pleaded guilty to trafficking a commercial quantity of abalone, an offence which carries a maximum 10-year jail term, and charges of selling rock lobster and selling other molluscs without permission.

Judge Sue Pullen said Nguyen’s role in the syndicate was at the top of their hierarchy and said the offending was organised and very serious given the impact illegal poaching had on the environment and the viability of the commercial abalone industry.

She said Nguyen’s subsequent sales had the potential to endanger the public’s health because she couldn’t ensure food hygiene standards.

Prosecutors cannot say how much money Nguyen made, but Judge Pullen put a pecuniary penalty order – the revenue the state was denied – at $18,000.

A Cairnlea man and his wife will face the County Court in March.

More arrests

Nguyen’s sentencing comes as Fisheries Victoria cracks down on poaching operations across the state.

Last Saturday, four men in their 20s were allegedly caught with 191 abalone at Altona after a tip-off from a member of the public.

The men, from Kings Park and Deer Park, will face charges of taking 171 undersized abalone, taking more than the catch limit, taking molluscs from the intertidal zone, and taking commercial quantities of a priority species.

In a separate incident, a Deer Park man was fined $1365 after being arrested in Portarlington on January 20 for taking abalone out of season and other offences involving sea urchins and molluscs.

Two women, also of Deer Park, will be summonsed to appear before the magistrates court on similar charges.

 

 

Digital Editions


  • Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times in Brimbank increased slightly during the last quarter, according to the latest data released by Ambulance Victoria (AV). In the October to…

More News

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to help the continued…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and quite often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project,…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without a clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from…

  • Multicultural health committee expanded

    Multicultural health committee expanded

    Victoria’s Multicultural Health Advisory Committee has been expanded in an effort to make the state’s health system more inclusive and increasingly diverse. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas unveiled the strengthened and…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north and west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…

  • More than four walls

    More than four walls

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 530350 For people who are socially isolated, culturally diverse or part of the LGBTQIA+ community, finding a space where you feel safe and welcomed…

  • Johns’ new challenge

    Johns’ new challenge

    One door closed and another opened for new Keilor Thunder signing Matt Johns. Johns, who had been playing in Queensland, was set to play basketball overseas late last year. When…

  • Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Epilepsy Action Australia and Australian Women with Epilepsy are inviting women across the country to take part in a powerful one-day forum designed to uplift, inform and support women living…