BRIMBANK NORTH WEST
Home » News » Landfill fires impacting school

Landfill fires impacting school

The principal of a school near the Kealba landfill has expressed concerns about the impact of the ongoing fires at the tip on the school community.

Residents from Kealba and nearby suburbs have long complained about the smell and health issues caused by the fires, which have been burning for more than 18 months.

Landfill operator Barro recently said it could take until May next year before the last of the fires are extinguished. The Environment Protection Authority (EPA had ordered that the fires be extinguished by the end of July.

Parents of pupils at St Paul’s Primary School in Kealba have recently complained about the odour.

The school is located on Sunshine Avenue, a couple of kilometres from the landfill.

Principal Denis Daley recently told an online community meeting held by Barro that he shared the concerns of parents.

“It is certainly offensive at times,” he said. “That has given me cause for concern in times it has been blowing in our direction.

“I have spoken with the EPA, emailed [Environment Minister] Lily D’ambrosio and [St Albans MP] Natalie Suleyman, and from where we are, there has been little satisfactory information coming back except that the EPA and Barro have it under control.

“We would beg to differ in terms of impact on the school.”

Mr Daley’s comments come after Barro’s Steve Murphy told the same meeting that he had looked to contact the school about its concerns but the principal he spoke to said there were no issues.

It was later revealed that Mr Murphy had contacted the wrong school – St Paul’s in Sunshine West.

The Melbourne Archdiocese Catholic Schools (MACS) oversees St Paul’s in Kelba.

MACS said it is aware of this issue and has advised the relevant authorities.

The meeting was an emotional one, with one resident saying the last couple years of his life had been miserable.

He said that he was too embarrassed to have visitors to house since the fires started.

In its latest community update, the EPA said it had escalated its investigation into Barro missing deadlines to have some of the hot spots extinguished.

“While EPA’s investigations into this matter are continuing, we will keep you informed over the coming weeks of the next steps,” the update said.

“We will ensure that all practicable measures are taken to resolve the hotspots and the odours impacting local communities as quickly and safely as possible.”

Digital Editions


  • Women’s history centre stage

    Women’s history centre stage

    A special one-off theatrical performance is coming to the Kyneton Town Hall in celebration of International Women’s Day. In 2026, the theme for International Women’s…

More News

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher distracted-driving and seatbelt enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will soon become…

  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the frequency of targeted attacks,…

  • Festival for all abilities

    Festival for all abilities

    Ability Fest is returning to Melbourne on April 11, 2026, with a new focus on industrial venue accessibility at The Timber Yard in Port Melbourne. The event marks a shift…

  • The sport of kings in Werribee

    The sport of kings in Werribee

    What many call the sport of kings will be on full display at Werribee Park as the historic Urquhart Cup polo tournament gallops into town on Sunday 1 March. More…

  • Lions through

    Lions through

    Deer Park will be hoping to go one better after winning through to the Victorian Turf Cricket Association group A T20 grand finals. Last year’s runners-up, the Lions sent a…

  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Hillside man arrested

    Hillside man arrested

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 Police arrested a 19-year old Hillside man and seized drugs and cash following a crash in Port Melbourne on Thursday 19 February. Officers…

  • Brimbank scientist nominated for award

    Brimbank scientist nominated for award

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534495 Brimbank resident Yemima Ehrnst has been nominated for the 7NEWS Young Achiever Awards (YAA) for her work furthering investigations in green energy. As…

  • Concerns over proposed facility

    Concerns over proposed facility

    A new application for a pork rendering facility in Laverton North has raised concerns among Brimbank residents, who fear it could worsen ongoing odour issues in the area. Submitted by…