BRIMBANK NORTH WEST
Home » News » EPA to suspend Kealba licence

EPA to suspend Kealba licence

The Barro Group’s licence to operate the Kealba landfill will be suspended by the Environment Protection Authority (EPA).

The EPA informed the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) that it could no longer defend the revocation of Barro’s previous operating licence, which was based on hotspot remediation only, as three of the four hotspots have now been remediated.

Instead, the EPA has informed Barro Group of its intention to now begin the process of suspending its licence to operate at the entirety of the site instead.

As reported by Star Weekly, underground fires have been burning at the landfill for six years.

The EPA said its new regulatory actions reflect a broader approach, beyond site remediation, to hold Barro Group to account.

EPA interim chief executive Joss Crawford said residents could be assured the prohibition notice will ensure operations and acceptance of waste at the landfill will not recommence.

“The only action Barro is permitted to take on the site relates to ongoing actions to extinguish the remaining hotspot and implementing the environmental auditors’ recent recommendations,’’ Ms Crawford said.

“We share the local community’s continuing frustrations with the site. Whether it be the landfill or the nearby concrete crushing operation. We accept the latest changes with the licence have added to the concerns. However, I want to assure you, EPA will not stop regulating this site.

“We want to see the hotspot extinguished in a manner that is safe for community. We want to make sure the site no longer impacts the life of the people who live near it, and the environment they wish to enjoy.’’

Barro is prohibited from accepting waste and operating the landfill and must remediate the final hotspot to comply with a new Environmental Action Notice.

The EPA said it does not believe that Barro has the systems in place to manage the risks from its operations to keep the community safe.

According to the EPA, Barro is entitled to make submissions which EPA will consider before making its decision.

The EPA said planning issues and land use decisions around the site have been complex.

The EPA expressed ongoing concerns about the suitability of the site due to its proximity to residential areas.

More to come.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the frequency of targeted attacks,…

  • Festival for all abilities

    Festival for all abilities

    Ability Fest is returning to Melbourne on April 11, 2026, with a new focus on industrial venue accessibility at The Timber Yard in Port Melbourne. The event marks a shift…

  • The sport of kings in Werribee

    The sport of kings in Werribee

    What many call the sport of kings will be on full display at Werribee Park as the historic Urquhart Cup polo tournament gallops into town on Sunday 1 March. More…

  • Lions through

    Lions through

    Deer Park will be hoping to go one better after winning through to the Victorian Turf Cricket Association group A T20 grand finals. Last year’s runners-up, the Lions sent a…

  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Hillside man arrested

    Hillside man arrested

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 Police arrested a 19-year old Hillside man and seized drugs and cash following a crash in Port Melbourne on Thursday 19 February. Officers…

  • Brimbank scientist nominated for award

    Brimbank scientist nominated for award

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534495 Brimbank resident Yemima Ehrnst has been nominated for the 7NEWS Young Achiever Awards (YAA) for her work furthering investigations in green energy. As…

  • Concerns over proposed facility

    Concerns over proposed facility

    A new application for a pork rendering facility in Laverton North has raised concerns among Brimbank residents, who fear it could worsen ongoing odour issues in the area. Submitted by…

  • Festival of colour returns

    Festival of colour returns

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535459 Brimbank is set to come alive with colour, music, and community spirit as the much-loved Holi Festival returns for its third consecutive year.…

  • Watergardens parking woes

    Watergardens parking woes

    Residents have raised concerns about illegal parking and a shortage of carparks at the Watergardens precinct. Brimbank resident Neil Hunichen expressed safety concerns over motorists parking their cars on the…