BRIMBANK NORTH WEST
Home » News » Djerriwarrh Health Services board sacked

Djerriwarrh Health Services board sacked

The entire board was last week formally sacked at the Bacchus Marsh hospital where seven baby deaths in two years are being investigated.

The eight board members of the Djerriwarrh Health Services were given until earlier this month to plead their case.

Last Thursday, Health Minister Jill Hennessy said she had met with all the board members but nothing had persuaded her that they should stay on.

“This is one of the greatest clinical governance failures that we’ve seen in the Victorian health system,” Ms Hennessy told reporters.

Dr John Ballard, former chief executive of Mercy Health, has been appointed administrator.

Andrew Freeman has been appointed chief executive.

Ms Hennessy said there were “no financial consequences” for the government terminating the board’s tenure.

In March, an analysis by the Consultative Council on Obstetric and Paediatric Mortality and Morbidity found the death rate at the Bacchus Marsh Hospital was higher than average.

It also showed that the hospital’s practices may have contributed to seven infant deaths over two years.

“I would like to see accountability for those that have contributed to some of the most devastating outcomes for families,” Ms Hennessy said.

She said the hospital was supposed to accommodate low-risk births. “Very sadly it didn’t and that has had life-changing consequences with devastating impacts for too many families.”

Negligence claims

Medical negligence lawyers say dozens of people have contacted them about their care at the hospital since news of the scandal broke earlier this month.

A spokeswoman for Maurice Blackburn said they had received 52 inquiries from people who felt they had received poor care at the hospital.

Anne Shortall, of Slater and Gordon, would not say exactly how many people the firm had heard from, but she said they had received many inquiries, including some from people about obstetric and gynaecological treatment at other hospitals in regional Victoria.

“The inquiries we have received are wide-ranging in terms of type of injury sustained and timeframe, with some reports of poor treatment and injury dating back more than a decade,” she said.

Dr Ballard said the booking list at the hospital was now “very well filled”.

However, he confirmed some women had cancelled plans to give birth at the hospital.

Dr Ballard said the hospital was seeking a new head of obstetrics.

By Benjamin Preiss, The Age

Digital Editions


  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse…

More News

  • Hillside man arrested

    Hillside man arrested

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 Police arrested a 19-year old Hillside man and seized drugs and cash following a crash in Port Melbourne on Thursday 19 February. Officers…

  • Brimbank scientist nominated for award

    Brimbank scientist nominated for award

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534495 Brimbank resident Yemima Ehrnst has been nominated for the 7NEWS Young Achiever Awards (YAA) for her work furthering investigations in green energy. As…

  • Concerns over proposed facility

    Concerns over proposed facility

    A new application for a pork rendering facility in Laverton North has raised concerns among Brimbank residents, who fear it could worsen ongoing odour issues in the area. Submitted by…

  • Festival of colour returns

    Festival of colour returns

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535459 Brimbank is set to come alive with colour, music, and community spirit as the much-loved Holi Festival returns for its third consecutive year.…

  • Watergardens parking woes

    Watergardens parking woes

    Residents have raised concerns about illegal parking and a shortage of carparks at the Watergardens precinct. Brimbank resident Neil Hunichen expressed safety concerns over motorists parking their cars on the…

  • Eagles focused on consistency

    Eagles focused on consistency

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 479746 North Sunshine Eagles remain focused on being competitive each week and letting the results take care of themselves in the Victorian Premier League…

  • Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Australia’s beloved alt-rock power trio Eskimo Joe are sure to have audiences up on their feet when they headline the Lincoln Park Twilight Festival. Held on Saturday 28 February at…

  • Collection retained

    Collection retained

    Brimbank councillors have pushed back against a council recommendation to reduce the frequency of garbage collection services from weekly to fortnightly, as part of state government-mandated waste reforms. Under the…

  • Council adopts social justice framework

    Council adopts social justice framework

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 504582 Brimbank council has adopted a new social justice framework, which it said will help create a more fair, inclusive and supportive community. The…

  • Sunshine North man charged

    Sunshine North man charged

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A 48-year-old Sunshine North man and a California Gully man have been charged as part of an investigation into alleged drug trafficking in…