BRIMBANK NORTH WEST
Home » News » Councils refuse to support Ravenhall landfill expansion

Councils refuse to support Ravenhall landfill expansion

By Sumeyya Ilanbey and Ben Cameron

Brimbank council says its residents need a better understanding of the environmental impacts of a proposed tip expansion in Ravenhall.

Officially objecting to Cleanaway’s planning permit application to expand the tip, the council is calling for more information on likely odour, dust and litter effects on neighbouring properties.

The application proposes the expansion of the landfill operations by 311 hectares to the west and north-west of the existing landfill area, and the permit’s life to 2069.

The council, which has no jurisdiction over the issue, is calling for an independent impact assessment report by an environmental auditor.

“Any expansion of the Melbourne Regional Landfill [should not] be approved until such time as the off-site amenity impact to nearby residents is resolved, specifically in relation to odour, dust and litter,” a council report states.

“The council is concerned about the expansion of landfill sites and the amenity impacts on surrounding land uses, particularly residential uses.”

The council is also worried about dust emissions from trucks and wants to see a one-kilometre buffer zone between the tip and residential areas.

“Of more concern is the proposal to approve a significant expansion to the landfill operation in the light of government policy which seeks to reduce Victoria’s reliance on using landfills for waste disposal,” the report adds.

Brimbank administrators chairman John Watson said there should be a renewed focus on new waste disposal technology “sooner rather than later”. His comments drew cheers from a handful of Stop The Tip protestors who sat in the gallery during last week’s council meeting.

Melton councillors have refused to support Cleanaway’s plans to expand the Ravenhall landfill, citing a lack of transparency and “absence of key information”.

At a special meeting earlier this month, councillors unanimously voted to make a submission to Planning Minister Richard Wynne, who called in the planning application earlier this year, objecting to Cleanaway’s plans.

In their report, council officers recommended council make a submission to the planning panel calling for a thorough investigation.

But Melton mayor Kathy Majdlik moved an alternative recommendation, outlining council’s decision to refuse to support Cleanaway’s application based on a number of reasons, including ongoing odour issues, a lack of transparency and traffic issues.

Councillors Sophie Ramsey, Lara Carli, Bob Turner, Nola Dunn, Myles Bentley and Renata Cugliari voted for the alternative recommendation, which was carried.

 

Digital Editions


  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse…

More News

  • Hillside man arrested

    Hillside man arrested

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 Police arrested a 19-year old Hillside man and seized drugs and cash following a crash in Port Melbourne on Thursday 19 February. Officers…

  • Brimbank scientist nominated for award

    Brimbank scientist nominated for award

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534495 Brimbank resident Yemima Ehrnst has been nominated for the 7NEWS Young Achiever Awards (YAA) for her work furthering investigations in green energy. As…

  • Concerns over proposed facility

    Concerns over proposed facility

    A new application for a pork rendering facility in Laverton North has raised concerns among Brimbank residents, who fear it could worsen ongoing odour issues in the area. Submitted by…

  • Festival of colour returns

    Festival of colour returns

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535459 Brimbank is set to come alive with colour, music, and community spirit as the much-loved Holi Festival returns for its third consecutive year.…

  • Watergardens parking woes

    Watergardens parking woes

    Residents have raised concerns about illegal parking and a shortage of carparks at the Watergardens precinct. Brimbank resident Neil Hunichen expressed safety concerns over motorists parking their cars on the…

  • Eagles focused on consistency

    Eagles focused on consistency

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 479746 North Sunshine Eagles remain focused on being competitive each week and letting the results take care of themselves in the Victorian Premier League…

  • Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Australia’s beloved alt-rock power trio Eskimo Joe are sure to have audiences up on their feet when they headline the Lincoln Park Twilight Festival. Held on Saturday 28 February at…

  • Collection retained

    Collection retained

    Brimbank councillors have pushed back against a council recommendation to reduce the frequency of garbage collection services from weekly to fortnightly, as part of state government-mandated waste reforms. Under the…

  • Council adopts social justice framework

    Council adopts social justice framework

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 504582 Brimbank council has adopted a new social justice framework, which it said will help create a more fair, inclusive and supportive community. The…

  • Sunshine North man charged

    Sunshine North man charged

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A 48-year-old Sunshine North man and a California Gully man have been charged as part of an investigation into alleged drug trafficking in…