BRIMBANK NORTH WEST
Home » News » 2017 Keilor Gift called off over $5000 funding shortfall

2017 Keilor Gift called off over $5000 funding shortfall

Next year’s prestigious Keilor Gift was called off because of a $5000 funding shortfall.

When the organising committee broke the news on October 18 that the 2017 foot race had been cancelled because Brimbank council had cut its funding in half, the sum of money at stake was not disclosed.

The council was unable to comment at the time because of laws forbidding it from publishing information while in caretaker mode, potentially influencing the outcome of the election.

The caretaker period came to an end last Monday and the council has since said it told Keilor Gift organisers it had cut funding to $5000, down from $10,000 in previous years.

Brimbank’s director of community wellbeing, Kath Brackett, said the council recognises the value of such community events as the Keilor Gift, but it had been forced to make cutbacks to meet the state government’s legislated rate rise cap of 2.5 per cent.

“To achieve this, council has struck a balance between maintaining current levels of service, reducing operational costs and reviewing the way some programs are delivered,” she said. “This will become increasingly difficult in future budgets when further savings need to be identified.

“A decision to reduce council’s funding support for the Keilor Gift to $5000 was an outcome of the need to be financially responsible, while taking into account the many competing needs from the diverse Brimbank community,” Ms Brackett said.

She encouraged the Keilor Gift organising committee to seek alternative sources of funding to ensure “this great event continues”.

Last month, organising committee president Hayden Kelly said council’s funding cut put the viability of the 83-year-old event in jeopardy.

“The overwhelming feeling at the moment is one of disappointment,” Mr Kelly said at the time. He did not respond to questions last week before

Star Weekly went to press.

Niddrie MP Ben Carroll said he was surprised the scheduled February 11 event had been called off because of a $5000 shortfall.

“But with some goodwill, I’m sure we could get it running in 2017,” he said.

“With a newly elected Brimbank council, there will be an opportunity for us to come together to ensure this proud local event is properly restored … on the Keilor calendar.”

Digital Editions


  • From the archives

    From the archives

    Star Weekly looks back at the pages of our predecessors… 40 years ago 26 February, 1986 Angry Deer Park residents have slammed the federal government’s…

More News

  • My place

    My place

    Wasi Abidi grew up in Melton before moving to St Albans. Benefitting from a western scholarships program through Western Chances, Mr Abidi told Jack O’Shea-Ayres about home life, education and…

  • Georgies top flight return

    Georgies top flight return

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534346 It was a day almost eight years in the making for Caroline Springs George Cross on Saturday. The Georgies made their return to…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to help the continued…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and quite often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project,…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without a clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from…

  • Multicultural health committee expanded

    Multicultural health committee expanded

    Victoria’s Multicultural Health Advisory Committee has been expanded in an effort to make the state’s health system more inclusive and increasingly diverse. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas unveiled the strengthened and…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north and west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…

  • More than four walls

    More than four walls

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 530350 For people who are socially isolated, culturally diverse or part of the LGBTQIA+ community, finding a space where you feel safe and welcomed…