BRIMBANK NORTH WEST
Home » News » Brooklyn dust bid sealed with $2.6 million funding

Brooklyn dust bid sealed with $2.6 million funding

Residents of Victoria’s most polluted suburb are breathing a sigh of relief after the state government announced further funding for sealing two of Brooklyn’s dustiest roads.

Under the $2.6 million deal, the government will contribute $1.85 million – up from the original $900,000 commitment – and Brimbank council $750,000 to seal Jones and Bunting roads.

RELATED: Dusty Brooklynites call for closure of road

Brooklyn: Council scraps dust charge for landowners

At the February 24 council meeting, administrator chairman John Watson welcomed the long-awaited move, saying the “pieces of the jigsaw are finally coming together”.

“The Brooklyn Industrial Precinct is a significant industrial hub,” he said.

“It’s hoped improving access to the area will help build business in the area, leading to an increase in local job opportunities.

“Improving roads and sealing these busy traffic-ways will also help address the dust and air quality concerns residents have, which stem from the constant flow of heavy traffic in and out of the precinct.”

Last financial year, Brooklyn residents suffered 28 days of dust levels as high as those experienced during the Black Saturday bushfires.

The World Health Organisation warns that people should not be exposed to such high levels of particle pollution for more than five days a year.

On hot, windy days, Victoria’s Health Department advises Brooklyn residents to stay inside, keep their doors and windows shut, and avoid exercise.

A 2011 Environment Protection Authority study found that Bunting Road contributed at least 23 per cent of precinct dust emissions and Jones Road at least eight per cent.

Williamstown MP Wade Noonan said residents had been waiting a “very long time” for this moment to come.

“It won’t fix all the dust problems in Brooklyn, but it’s a mighty step forward.”

Brooklyn Residents Action Group secretary Bert Boere said sealing the roads was the biggest single change needed to reduce dust levels.

“It’ll drop the dust levels by somewhere between 40 and 50 per cent,” he said, “but that said, it will still be over the limits.

“We’re six to eight times over the number of dust exceedences we’re allowed to have per year, and if you drop that by half you’re still sitting on three or four … it’s not an entire solution.

‘’You’ve still got to tackle the sites plus the transfer [of dust] off the properties.”

Mr Boere said sealing the roads would make it clear from which properties “dirty” trucks were coming.

Last month, the EPA fined two Brooklyn businesses more than $7000 each for failing to minimise dust coming from their premises.

Another four companies were given official warnings about mud and dust leaving their premises.

Brimbank council is expected to start work to seal the roads by June.

Digital Editions


  • Lions return to form

    Lions return to form

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532918 It was a return to form for Taylors Lakes on Saturday, but it might be a little bit…

More News

  • Australia Post ramps up the horse-power for Lunar New Year

    Australia Post ramps up the horse-power for Lunar New Year

    Australia Post is celebrating the Year of the Horse with the release of its Lunar New Year stamp issue, and its first ever ‘DigiStamp’. The traditional Lunar New Year stamp…

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher distracted-driving and seatbelt enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will soon become…

  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the frequency of targeted attacks,…

  • Festival for all abilities

    Festival for all abilities

    Ability Fest is returning to Melbourne on April 11, 2026, with a new focus on industrial venue accessibility at The Timber Yard in Port Melbourne. The event marks a shift…

  • The sport of kings in Werribee

    The sport of kings in Werribee

    What many call the sport of kings will be on full display at Werribee Park as the historic Urquhart Cup polo tournament gallops into town on Sunday 1 March. More…

  • Lions through

    Lions through

    Deer Park will be hoping to go one better after winning through to the Victorian Turf Cricket Association group A T20 grand finals. Last year’s runners-up, the Lions sent a…

  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Hillside man arrested

    Hillside man arrested

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 Police arrested a 19-year old Hillside man and seized drugs and cash following a crash in Port Melbourne on Thursday 19 February. Officers…

  • Brimbank scientist nominated for award

    Brimbank scientist nominated for award

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534495 Brimbank resident Yemima Ehrnst has been nominated for the 7NEWS Young Achiever Awards (YAA) for her work furthering investigations in green energy. As…