BRIMBANK NORTH WEST
Home » News » Shorten concedes shortcomings on ‘killer crossings at St Albans’

Shorten concedes shortcomings on ‘killer crossings at St Albans’

The former state government did not do enough to address the “terrible, killer crossings at St Albans”, Opposition Leader Bill Shorten conceded yesterday.

Premier Dennis Napthine announced earlier this week the “undoubtedly the most dangerous level crossing in Melbourne” would be removed by 2017.

There are no immediate plans for the Furlong Road level crossing, however, which has experienced similar problems.

In an exclusive interview with the Weekly reflecting on his past six months as leader of the opposition, Mr Shorten welcomed news that preliminary works would begin this year.

“That is a good development, I have no reservations about that,” he said.

“I’m glad the Liberal party has come on board. I think people are legitimately angry, I think the previous state Labor government should have done more. I think they got very keen on building a bypass around St Albans, and they spent a few years scoping that. In my opinion, that was the wrong way to go.

“Now at last, common sense and fairness has prevailed.”

Major works for the removal of the St Albans level crossing won’t start until next year.

A state government spokesperson told the Weekly detailed design and preliminary works, including the removal of the old train stabling facilities, on the Main Road crossing would start “this year”.

“Major works will commence in 2015 and be completed by 2017,” she said.

Shadow spokesperson for Public Transport Jill Hennessy said Main Road is a high priority level crossing.

““Denis Napthine has had three-and-a-half years to get on with this, it’s disappointing that only on the eve of an election he has decided to act,” she said.

Digital Editions


  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Brimbank are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and windy…

More News

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    Star Weekly looks back at the pages of our predecessors… 40 years ago 26 February, 1986 Angry Deer Park residents have slammed the federal government’s $6 million Kororoit Creek beautification…

  • Eagles looking for consistency

    Eagles looking for consistency

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 520809 Sunshine Eagles know they need to be on their A-grade game for the rest of the Baseball Victoria summer league premier 1 first…

  • Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times in Brimbank increased slightly during the last quarter, according to the latest data released by Ambulance Victoria (AV). In the October to December period, Brimbank patients waited…

  • Blood donation pop-up

    Blood donation pop-up

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532439 Locals are being invited to roll up their sleeves and give blood as Lifeblood hosts a blood donation popup in Sunshine early next…

  • Love is in the air

    Love is in the air

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533993 Couples at Doutta Galla Aged Care facility in Sunshine were treated to a romantic lunch date on Thursday 12 February ahead of Valentine’s…

  • My place

    My place

    Wasi Abidi grew up in Melton before moving to St Albans. Benefitting from a western scholarships program through Western Chances, Mr Abidi told Jack O’Shea-Ayres about home life, education and…

  • Georgies top flight return

    Georgies top flight return

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534346 It was a day almost eight years in the making for Caroline Springs George Cross on Saturday. The Georgies made their return to…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to help the continued…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and quite often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project,…