BRIMBANK NORTH WEST
Home » Sport » Other Sports » Unhappy with the playlist, Nick Kyrgios bows out

Unhappy with the playlist, Nick Kyrgios bows out

Nick Kyrgios marches to the beat of his own drum.

So, when someone plays music in the middle of his tennis match, he does not like it in the slightest.

That little irritation from a member in the crowd went some way to derailing Kyrgios’s 2016 Australian Open men’s singles campaign.

It affected his first two sets before he roared back to blitz the third and had a great chance to claim the fourth.

Irreparable damage had been done in the preceding two sets and Kyrgios went down 6-4 6-3 1-6 6-4 to the cool-as-ice Tomas Berdych in a third round firecracker at Rod Laver Arena on Friday night.

Conversely, Berdych took no notice of the music, nor was he upset by the circus going on at the other end of the court.

The Czech Republic star showed the difference between an upstart and a seasoned pro.

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - JANUARY 22:  Nick Kyrgios of Australia throws his racquet in disgust during  his third round match against Tomas Berdych of Czech Republic on day five of the 2016 Australian Open at Melbourne Park on January 22, 2016 in Melbourne, Australia.  (Photo by Pat Scala/Getty Images)
Nick Kyrgios throws his racquet in disgust (Photo by Pat Scala/Getty Images).

The sixth seed was almost robotic in the way he approached the first two sets.

So level headed, Berdych is never too high and never too low after a point, which can borderline on the boring, but demonstrates a mental toughness required to succeed in the big tournaments.

Berdych blocked out the noise and delivered knock-out blows off his racquet to all areas of the court, with nice deep shots from both sides of the body that had Kyrgios at sixes and sevens.

To his credit, Kyrgios showed Lleyton Hewitt-like qualities to fight back in the third and fourth sets, but his unwillingness to let go of his frustration at the music from the crowd – among other things – earlier in the match proved fatal to his campaign.

It was still bubbling away in Kyrgios’s mind in the post match press conference.

“Unless I’m hearing things,” he said. “Yeah, I thought there was music playing. Did anyone else hear it?”

 

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - JANUARY 22:  Tomas Berdych of Czech Republic during  his third round match against Nick Kyrgios of Australia  on day five of the 2016 Australian Open at Melbourne Park on January 22, 2016 in Melbourne, Australia.  (Photo by Pat Scala/Getty Images)
Tomas Berdych just got on with the task in front of him. (Photo by Pat Scala/Getty Images).

It is easy to forget that Kyrgios is just 20 years of age.

He will learn from this experience and could do worse than watch re-runs of this match in full.

It demonstrated his good and bad in one neat package.

The final two sets was Kyrgios at his breathtaking best, both tennis wise and with his bubbly personality.

Kyrgios might have lost a few fans in the first 75 minutes with his continual jousting with the crowd and the chair umpire, but, somehow, he re-grouped after the second set, winning six of the next seven games to have a fighting chance.

 

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - JANUARY 22:  Nick Kyrgios of Australia leaves the court after losing  his third round match against Tomas Berdych of Czech Republic on day five of the 2016 Australian Open at Melbourne Park on January 22, 2016 in Melbourne, Australia.  (Photo by Pat Scala/Getty Images)
Nick Kyrgios walks off court after the loss. (Photo by Pat Scala/Getty Images).

The jeers turned into cheers with Kyrgios harnessing the crowd for the good instead of forcing them against him.

Kyrgios fed off their energy, delivering some mesmerising strokes that will tempt fans back into his corner.

A number of Kyrgios’s cross court forehands will figure in the hot shots of the tournament.

It is just a pity we will not get to see them again – unless of course the doubles tickles your fancy.

Kyrgios later said he felt like he “let a lot of people down” by not going deeper in the tournament.

Truth is, he let himself down by mentally checking into the game 120 minutes late, because he could have been toasting a famous victory, instead he is wondering what might have been.

Digital Editions


  • Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times in Brimbank increased slightly during the last quarter, according to the latest data released by Ambulance Victoria (AV). In the October to…

More News

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to help the continued…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and quite often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project,…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without a clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from…

  • Multicultural health committee expanded

    Multicultural health committee expanded

    Victoria’s Multicultural Health Advisory Committee has been expanded in an effort to make the state’s health system more inclusive and increasingly diverse. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas unveiled the strengthened and…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north and west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…

  • More than four walls

    More than four walls

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 530350 For people who are socially isolated, culturally diverse or part of the LGBTQIA+ community, finding a space where you feel safe and welcomed…

  • Johns’ new challenge

    Johns’ new challenge

    One door closed and another opened for new Keilor Thunder signing Matt Johns. Johns, who had been playing in Queensland, was set to play basketball overseas late last year. When…

  • Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Epilepsy Action Australia and Australian Women with Epilepsy are inviting women across the country to take part in a powerful one-day forum designed to uplift, inform and support women living…