BRIMBANK NORTH WEST
Home » Uncategorized » STATE: Victoria’s fires may have razed 50 homes

STATE: Victoria’s fires may have razed 50 homes

The number of Victorian homes destroyed by ”ferocious” fires in the past week could exceed 50, police say.

Chief Commissioner Ken Lay confirmed the loss of 34 houses on Tuesday, but forecast that tally could rise in the coming days.

”We have advised that another 20 houses may be destroyed, otherwise unconfirmed until we get people into the fire scene,” he said

At the Mickleham and Kilmore fire, hundreds of homes are believed to have been affected and at least 12 have burnt down.

Fire Services Commissioner Craig Lapsley said the blaze that started at the weekend had been difficult to control. It burnt across vast plains of grassland where it threatened urban housing estates, and over hills as it spread north and through bushland.

PICTURE GALLERY: Gisborne fires

PICTURE GALLERY: Reader pictures

PICTURE GALLERY: Mickleham fires

After winds picked up on Monday afternoon the fire’s reach had grown to 23,000-plus hectares.

At the Kilmore CFA station, fire division commander Greg Murphy said many houses in the fire’s path still remained upright despite some damage. ”And with a little bit of work will be habitable,” he said.

But authorities have warned that for at least the next six weeks the blaze could still pose problems.

”The fires are burning into very very difficult terrain for us to work in. The hills, the valleys, the rocky areas will make it extremely difficult to extinguish completely. We will need to remain vigilant for the next six to seven weeks,” Mr Murphy said.

On Tuesday afternoon 18 fires spanning 180,000 hectares were still burning across Victoria, including major fires in the Latrobe Valley and East Gippsland. Homes lost include seven in Kilmore, four in Mickleham, three in Warrandyte, three in Martins Creek, two in Goongerah, two in Wunghnu, two in Glenaladale and one each in Beveridge, Yarram and Walpa.

As smoke wafted across the state, Mr Lapsley said some people were calling triple zero wrongly believing there was a fire nearby.

”There’s smoke now spread over a broad area extending into central Victoria and also back in the metropolitan area and people need to be mindful of that.”

Police said up to 16 of the recent fires had been deliberately lit, with nine confirmed as arson. Two boys, aged 11 and nine, have been spoken to by police or cautioned over Sunday’s Long Gully fire in Bendigo.

Premier Denis Napthine said the authorities needed to do more research on why people deliberately lit fires after saying the state had a ”serious issue with arsonists”. Knowing some people were lighting fires during such dangerous and extreme conditions was ”an absolutely outrageous and sick-to-the-stomach feeling”, he said.

Digital Editions


  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse…

More News

  • Hillside man arrested

    Hillside man arrested

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 Police arrested a 19-year old Hillside man and seized drugs and cash following a crash in Port Melbourne on Thursday 19 February. Officers…

  • Brimbank scientist nominated for award

    Brimbank scientist nominated for award

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534495 Brimbank resident Yemima Ehrnst has been nominated for the 7NEWS Young Achiever Awards (YAA) for her work furthering investigations in green energy. As…

  • Concerns over proposed facility

    Concerns over proposed facility

    A new application for a pork rendering facility in Laverton North has raised concerns among Brimbank residents, who fear it could worsen ongoing odour issues in the area. Submitted by…

  • Festival of colour returns

    Festival of colour returns

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535459 Brimbank is set to come alive with colour, music, and community spirit as the much-loved Holi Festival returns for its third consecutive year.…

  • Watergardens parking woes

    Watergardens parking woes

    Residents have raised concerns about illegal parking and a shortage of carparks at the Watergardens precinct. Brimbank resident Neil Hunichen expressed safety concerns over motorists parking their cars on the…

  • Eagles focused on consistency

    Eagles focused on consistency

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 479746 North Sunshine Eagles remain focused on being competitive each week and letting the results take care of themselves in the Victorian Premier League…

  • Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Australia’s beloved alt-rock power trio Eskimo Joe are sure to have audiences up on their feet when they headline the Lincoln Park Twilight Festival. Held on Saturday 28 February at…

  • Collection retained

    Collection retained

    Brimbank councillors have pushed back against a council recommendation to reduce the frequency of garbage collection services from weekly to fortnightly, as part of state government-mandated waste reforms. Under the…

  • Council adopts social justice framework

    Council adopts social justice framework

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 504582 Brimbank council has adopted a new social justice framework, which it said will help create a more fair, inclusive and supportive community. The…

  • Sunshine North man charged

    Sunshine North man charged

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A 48-year-old Sunshine North man and a California Gully man have been charged as part of an investigation into alleged drug trafficking in…