BRIMBANK NORTH WEST
Home » Uncategorized » STATE: Paramedics to step up campaign on pay

STATE: Paramedics to step up campaign on pay

Paramedics have voted to step up work bans, including holding stop-work meetings across Victoria as part of their pay dispute with the state government.

About 1700 paramedics voted in favour of 22 new work bans, which could take effect from this weekend, in a ballot held on Friday.

Ambulance Employees Australia state secretary Steve McGhie said his members wanted to send a message to the state government to “get serious” about offering them a fair deal on pay and conditions.

Paramedics have been negotiating with Ambulance Victoria and the government since August 2012 over a new enterprise bargaining agreement, after demanding a pay rise of 30 per cent over three years.

In November, they rejected a government pay offer of 12 per cent over three years because it would have allowed Ambulance Victoria to argue for more “workplace flexibility”, including cutting back on entitlements, before the Fair Work Commission.

Paramedics have already implemented some work bans and have been wearing campaign T-shirts and writing campaign material on ambulances.

But the new bans go further and could include stop-work meetings and paramedics inviting journalists and politicians to ride in ambulances as observers.

“If we get to it, and we all hope we don’t, there could be a series of stop-work meetings around the state if we can’t get this dispute resolved,” Mr McGhie said.

The union is required to provide Ambulance Victoria with three working days’ notice of any work bans it intends to implement.

The new work bans have been approved by the Fair Work Commission but could be challenged by Ambulance Victoria if it received notice of any ban it believed would put the public at risk.

Ambulance Victoria has previously said it is bound by the government’s public-sector wage policy of 2.5 per cent a year, with any further rises to be traded for productivity gains.

Health Minister David Davis said it was ‘‘disappointing that the hardline ambulance union has decided to take industrial action’’ after refusing a significant pay offer.

He said any move by paramedics to stop work would be of concern to the government and community.

‘‘Without an ambulance service our patients would be exposed and there would be significant risk,’’ he said.

Ambulance Victoria general manager of regional services Tony Walker said the service was trying to resolve the dispute and would ‘‘seek to terminate any industrial action that impacts on our service and would affect the safety and welfare of the community.’’

Digital Editions


  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Brimbank are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and windy…

More News

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    Star Weekly looks back at the pages of our predecessors… 40 years ago 26 February, 1986 Angry Deer Park residents have slammed the federal government’s $6 million Kororoit Creek beautification…

  • Eagles looking for consistency

    Eagles looking for consistency

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 520809 Sunshine Eagles know they need to be on their A-grade game for the rest of the Baseball Victoria summer league premier 1 first…

  • Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times in Brimbank increased slightly during the last quarter, according to the latest data released by Ambulance Victoria (AV). In the October to December period, Brimbank patients waited…

  • Blood donation pop-up

    Blood donation pop-up

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532439 Locals are being invited to roll up their sleeves and give blood as Lifeblood hosts a blood donation popup in Sunshine early next…

  • Love is in the air

    Love is in the air

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533993 Couples at Doutta Galla Aged Care facility in Sunshine were treated to a romantic lunch date on Thursday 12 February ahead of Valentine’s…

  • My place

    My place

    Wasi Abidi grew up in Melton before moving to St Albans. Benefitting from a western scholarships program through Western Chances, Mr Abidi told Jack O’Shea-Ayres about home life, education and…

  • Georgies top flight return

    Georgies top flight return

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534346 It was a day almost eight years in the making for Caroline Springs George Cross on Saturday. The Georgies made their return to…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to help the continued…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and quite often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project,…