BRIMBANK NORTH WEST
Home » Uncategorized » WERRIBEE: St Vincent’s to open new 112-bed hospital

WERRIBEE: St Vincent’s to open new 112-bed hospital

See video below and gallery in the carousel above.

UPDATE: A new 112-bed private hospital is to be built in Werribee at a cost of $75 million.

St Vincent’s Health Australia announced on Tuesday its plans to open a private facility opposite Werribee Mercy Hospital by 2016.

In 2012, it was revealed the organisation had bought four hectares of land on Hoppers Lane where a new hospital would be built as part of the East Werribee Employment Precinct.

St Vincent’s Private Melbourne chief executive Ian Grisold said the hospital would treat more than 16,000 patients a year and employ 270 people.

The three-storey hospital will include for orthopaedic, obstetrics, cardiology, ear nose and throat, oncology, gynaecology, general surgery and rehabilitation services.

Mr Grisold said the hospital would also help with Wyndham’s baby boom.

“Today, one out of every two mothers in the Wyndham area who gives birth needs to go outside the local community for their care,” he said.

“Many currently travel to St Vincent’s Private in Fitzroy … soon they’ll have the St Vincent’s Private choice in their own backyard.”

A $20 million 80-bed aged-care centre will also be built on the site. It will cater for residents with dementia and provide respite care for people who are financially disadvantaged.

Victorian Health Minister David Davis said the hospital was a major addition to the growing health precinct on Hoppers Lane.

“Development of a new St Vincent’s private hospital and aged-care facility represents a $95 million investment in Werribee and the outer west’s healthcare and follows the completion of a $28 million redevelopment in February this year at the publicly funded Mercy Hospital,” Mr Davis said.

“The hospital will include several operating theatres, a day procedure unit and a cardiac catheter laboratory to provide additional health services to the people of Wyndham.”

Planning Minister Matthew Guy told Star Weekly the construction of a privately funded hospital in East Werribee showed there was significant developer interest in the area.

The new hospital will be built next to the Wyndham Private Medical Centre and across the road from the 200-bed Werribee Mercy Hospital.

Planning Minister Matthew Guy told Star WeeklyIt’s expected construction will begin in the next six to eight months. 

Digital Editions


More News

  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the frequency of targeted attacks,…

  • Festival for all abilities

    Festival for all abilities

    Ability Fest is returning to Melbourne on April 11, 2026, with a new focus on industrial venue accessibility at The Timber Yard in Port Melbourne. The event marks a shift…

  • The sport of kings in Werribee

    The sport of kings in Werribee

    What many call the sport of kings will be on full display at Werribee Park as the historic Urquhart Cup polo tournament gallops into town on Sunday 1 March. More…

  • Lions through

    Lions through

    Deer Park will be hoping to go one better after winning through to the Victorian Turf Cricket Association group A T20 grand finals. Last year’s runners-up, the Lions sent a…

  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Hillside man arrested

    Hillside man arrested

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 Police arrested a 19-year old Hillside man and seized drugs and cash following a crash in Port Melbourne on Thursday 19 February. Officers…

  • Brimbank scientist nominated for award

    Brimbank scientist nominated for award

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534495 Brimbank resident Yemima Ehrnst has been nominated for the 7NEWS Young Achiever Awards (YAA) for her work furthering investigations in green energy. As…

  • Concerns over proposed facility

    Concerns over proposed facility

    A new application for a pork rendering facility in Laverton North has raised concerns among Brimbank residents, who fear it could worsen ongoing odour issues in the area. Submitted by…

  • Festival of colour returns

    Festival of colour returns

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535459 Brimbank is set to come alive with colour, music, and community spirit as the much-loved Holi Festival returns for its third consecutive year.…

  • Watergardens parking woes

    Watergardens parking woes

    Residents have raised concerns about illegal parking and a shortage of carparks at the Watergardens precinct. Brimbank resident Neil Hunichen expressed safety concerns over motorists parking their cars on the…