BRIMBANK NORTH WEST
Home » Uncategorized » Boral tip expansion knocked back

Boral tip expansion knocked back

Melton City Council has unanimously rejected an application from Boral Recycling to expand landfill operations at its Ravenhall site.

The long-awaited decision was welcomed with rousing applause from a packed gallery at last week’s council meeting. More than 200 people attended the meeting, many waiting in the council grounds despite freezing temperatures.

The council had received 6600 written objections to the proposal before last week’s meeting.

Boral’s application was to increase the area of the existing landfill to match that of on-site quarrying operations, a significantly larger area.

Councillors determined that the proposal was premature, lacked important information, could prejudice the orderly development of the area and did not comply with the relevant requirements of the planning scheme.

Mayor Bob Turner said the council believed the application was premature given the existing landfill on the site appeared to have more than 10 years of airspace available.

“The proposal was to expand the landfill operation across the entire site, into large areas of land which have yet to be quarried. In effect, the proposal sought to lock in planning approval to fill the site for a long period of time, possibly 100 years or more,” Cr Turner said.

“The application also lacks important information such as a detailed assessment of appropriate buffer zones.”

Stop the Tip campaigner Marion Martin said she was “on top of the world” following the council’s decision. She said the group was more determined tto fight for the right outcome.

“The 250 to 300 people who stood out in the cold were all over the moon. Some of them said they believe in justice now.

“We’re very, very strong moving forward, we’re not going to stop now and we’ll go as far as we have to go.”

Boral Waste Solutions business manager Richard McCarthy said the company was disappointed by the decision.

“We will carefully review the council’s decision and consider our next course of action,” Mr McCarthy said.

“Boral takes community concerns seriously and is working closely with council, residents and the EPA to respond to issues raised.”

… Natalie Gallenti-Brekalo

Digital Editions


  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Brimbank are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and windy…

More News

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    Star Weekly looks back at the pages of our predecessors… 40 years ago 26 February, 1986 Angry Deer Park residents have slammed the federal government’s $6 million Kororoit Creek beautification…

  • Eagles looking for consistency

    Eagles looking for consistency

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 520809 Sunshine Eagles know they need to be on their A-grade game for the rest of the Baseball Victoria summer league premier 1 first…

  • Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times in Brimbank increased slightly during the last quarter, according to the latest data released by Ambulance Victoria (AV). In the October to December period, Brimbank patients waited…

  • Blood donation pop-up

    Blood donation pop-up

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532439 Locals are being invited to roll up their sleeves and give blood as Lifeblood hosts a blood donation popup in Sunshine early next…

  • Love is in the air

    Love is in the air

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533993 Couples at Doutta Galla Aged Care facility in Sunshine were treated to a romantic lunch date on Thursday 12 February ahead of Valentine’s…

  • My place

    My place

    Wasi Abidi grew up in Melton before moving to St Albans. Benefitting from a western scholarships program through Western Chances, Mr Abidi told Jack O’Shea-Ayres about home life, education and…

  • Georgies top flight return

    Georgies top flight return

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534346 It was a day almost eight years in the making for Caroline Springs George Cross on Saturday. The Georgies made their return to…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to help the continued…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and quite often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project,…