BRIMBANK NORTH WEST
Home » Sport » Bebic back for second season at the Knights

Bebic back for second season at the Knights

Melbourne Knights coach Steve Bebic is keen to build on a positive first season at the National Premier League club.

The Knights were sitting eighth when the season was called off early due to the COVID-19 pandemic, with seven wins, five draws and six losses.

The club announced that Bebic, along with assistant coach Diogo Ferreira and goalkeeping coach Tony Belica, have all recommitted for next year.

Bebic said he was excited to be back at the Knights for another season, saying he felt like his work wasn’t done and there was a lot more gas left in the tank.

He said there had been some real positives out of the season.

“We had to roll with the punches,” he said.

“There were some real positives and we were achieving some of our goals.

“The gap between second, eighth and ninth was really close.

“Whichever team found a consistent run of results, could have quite quickly jumped up the ladder.

“We would have backed ourselves to make finals.”

Bebic said despite not getting the chance to make finals, they would look at the season as positive overall.

He said from his perspective the season was also about coming in and getting to know the playing group and setting clear goals and targets.

With a focus on continuing that process, the side has started its 2022 pre-season.

“We’re straight into it, training four times a week, up until Christmas,” he said.

“There’s five or six new faces, with 90 per cent of the squad done.”

The club is yet to announce any new signings, but Bebic said they had focused on bringing in younger types to match their age.

He said the squad was one of the youngest in the competition this year.

“We’re probably looking at younger types of players, who are hungry for success and look at the NPL as a stepping stone in their career,” he said.

“They’re the traits we’re looking for. The majority are towards that younger age with some pace. They know how to work hard and this is the first step in becoming professional.

“It’s up to them how far they push.”

Bebic said they would look to complement the young players with some experienced heads to help provide experience and set the standards.

On the women’s side, the Knights have appointed John Diaz as senior coach.

Diaz makes the move across from South Melbourne, having previously coached at Point Cook and Hoppers Crossing.

On the Knights’ website, Diaz said he was excited for the challenge that lies ahead and is confident that the side can build on its 2021 cup success, while also improving on league competitions.

Digital Editions


  • Women’s history centre stage

    Women’s history centre stage

    A special one-off theatrical performance is coming to the Kyneton Town Hall in celebration of International Women’s Day. In 2026, the theme for International Women’s…

More News

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher distracted-driving and seatbelt enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will soon become…

  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the frequency of targeted attacks,…

  • Festival for all abilities

    Festival for all abilities

    Ability Fest is returning to Melbourne on April 11, 2026, with a new focus on industrial venue accessibility at The Timber Yard in Port Melbourne. The event marks a shift…

  • The sport of kings in Werribee

    The sport of kings in Werribee

    What many call the sport of kings will be on full display at Werribee Park as the historic Urquhart Cup polo tournament gallops into town on Sunday 1 March. More…

  • Lions through

    Lions through

    Deer Park will be hoping to go one better after winning through to the Victorian Turf Cricket Association group A T20 grand finals. Last year’s runners-up, the Lions sent a…

  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Hillside man arrested

    Hillside man arrested

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 Police arrested a 19-year old Hillside man and seized drugs and cash following a crash in Port Melbourne on Thursday 19 February. Officers…

  • Brimbank scientist nominated for award

    Brimbank scientist nominated for award

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534495 Brimbank resident Yemima Ehrnst has been nominated for the 7NEWS Young Achiever Awards (YAA) for her work furthering investigations in green energy. As…

  • Concerns over proposed facility

    Concerns over proposed facility

    A new application for a pork rendering facility in Laverton North has raised concerns among Brimbank residents, who fear it could worsen ongoing odour issues in the area. Submitted by…