BRIMBANK NORTH WEST
Home » Uncategorized » Delahey hit-and-run: Teenage victim’s mother asks why

Delahey hit-and-run: Teenage victim’s mother asks why

A 33-year-old Hillside man was arrested but later released over last week’s hit and run in Delahey that left one teen dead and another fighting for her life.

Anthony Nguyen and Jasmine Vuong, both 17, were struck by an SUV while crossing Taylors Road, near Braeswood Road, about 11.30pm last Tuesday.

Mr Nguyen, who sustained head injuries from the accident, died on Wednesday night at the Royal Melbourne Hospital.

Ms Vuong has undergone surgery for a fractured skull and remained in a critical condition at the Royal Melbourne at the time Star Weekly went to print.

She also sustained multiple broken bones, including a broken arm and broken hip.

Family and friends of the pair have left floral tributes and messages at the accident site.

Our earlier report: Victim Jasmine Vuong shows sign of recovery

Major collision investigation group (MCIG) detectives used a headlight recovered at the scene to determine the vehicle involved in the hit run.

The analysis revealed a light-coloured Nissan Dualis SUV, manufactured between October 2007 and January 2010, as the vehicle.

Police then released CCTV footage of the vehicle they were searching for before arresting a Hillside man at his home about 1pm last Thursday.

A car matching the description of the Nissan Dualis involved in the fatal hit-run was also found at the property.

MCIG’s Detective Inspector Bernie Rankin branded the hit-run a disgrace.

“The damage is extensive enough that it’s not possible the driver hasn’t realise they have hit someone,” Inspector Rankin said.

“For someone to hit two teenagers and then leave without attempting to help them is disgraceful.”

Mr Nguyen left Keilor Downs College in September last year to take up a motor mechanic apprenticeship.

His distraught parents released a statement on Wednesday thanking the community for their thoughts and support.

Keilor Downs College principal Stuart Andrews said the school community was shocked and saddened by the tragedy.

“Anthony was an easy-going, friendly and happy young man who always had a smile for everyone,” Mr Andrews said. “His many school friends are distraught over his sudden loss.”

Ms Vuong was due to start year 12 at Copperfield College last Thursday. Her pregnant mother, Suong Phung, said she could not understand why the driver did not stop to call triple zero.

“Their lives were relying on that call … he just run away,” she said.

– With The Age

Digital Editions


  • Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times in Brimbank increased slightly during the last quarter, according to the latest data released by Ambulance Victoria (AV). In the October to…

More News

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to help the continued…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and quite often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project,…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without a clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from…

  • Multicultural health committee expanded

    Multicultural health committee expanded

    Victoria’s Multicultural Health Advisory Committee has been expanded in an effort to make the state’s health system more inclusive and increasingly diverse. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas unveiled the strengthened and…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north and west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…

  • More than four walls

    More than four walls

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 530350 For people who are socially isolated, culturally diverse or part of the LGBTQIA+ community, finding a space where you feel safe and welcomed…

  • Johns’ new challenge

    Johns’ new challenge

    One door closed and another opened for new Keilor Thunder signing Matt Johns. Johns, who had been playing in Queensland, was set to play basketball overseas late last year. When…

  • Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Epilepsy Action Australia and Australian Women with Epilepsy are inviting women across the country to take part in a powerful one-day forum designed to uplift, inform and support women living…