BRIMBANK NORTH WEST
Home » Uncategorized » Essendon: Players cleared by AFL anti-doping tribunal

Essendon: Players cleared by AFL anti-doping tribunal

UPDATE: Thirty-four past and present Essendon footballers are free to resume playing after being cleared of taking a banned drug.

AFL anti-doping tribunal chairman David Jones revealed on Tuesday that the players, of whom 17 are still at Essendon, had been able to prove they were not given the prohibited substance thymosin beta-4 during the club’s 2011-12 supplements program.

David Grace QC, representing 32 of the 34 players, was delighted with the outcome.

“We are very pleased. We all had a very fair hearing and we are happy with the result, obviously,” he said on Tuesday afternoon.

“No one has read the reasons for the decision. We are still going to be considering that. The players will be playing this week.”

The Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority welcomed the verdict but severely criticised the program at Essendon three years ago.

“What happened at Essendon in 2012 was, in my opinion, absolutely and utterly disgraceful. It was not a supplements program but an injection regime and the players and the fans were so poorly let down by the club,” ASADA CEO Ben McDevitt said in a statement.

“While I am obviously disappointed that the charges in this instance have not been proven to the comfortable satisfaction of the tribunal, I am pleased that the tribunal was able to finally hear these matters.”

Grace did not wish to comment about ASADA’s case, or what the anti-doping body would do now.

“I don’t want to comment about the strength or the weakness of the case,” he said.

“We mounted a very strong defence to the case and the result is here today.”

Lawyers for ASADA weren’t able to prove to a “comfortable satisfaction” that the chain of evidence was strong enough to prosecute their case. 

The hearings before Jones, John Nixon, also a former County Court judge, and Wayne Henwood, a former VFL-AFL player, and now a barrister, began in December and concluded in February.

The Essendon players, including skipper Jobe Watson, had been provisionally suspended since receiving infraction notices for a second time on November 14.

The Bombers open their season against the Sydney Swans at ANZ Stadium on Saturday night.

However, ASADA and the World Anti-Doping Agency could now appeal to the AFL appeals tribunal. They have 21 days to appeal. If there are sufficient grounds, they could also appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

The announcement by Jones was a significant moment in a case that has clouded the league since the Bombers self-reported on February 5, 2013.

It was unclear whether Stephen Dank, the architect of the supplements program who was also given an infraction notice, had been cleared.

Essendon has yet to comment extensively on the decision but the club’s chief executive simply tweeted the following: “I am so proud of our players.”

This story first appeared in The Age

//

Digital Editions


  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse…

More News

  • Hillside man arrested

    Hillside man arrested

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 Police arrested a 19-year old Hillside man and seized drugs and cash following a crash in Port Melbourne on Thursday 19 February. Officers…

  • Brimbank scientist nominated for award

    Brimbank scientist nominated for award

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534495 Brimbank resident Yemima Ehrnst has been nominated for the 7NEWS Young Achiever Awards (YAA) for her work furthering investigations in green energy. As…

  • Concerns over proposed facility

    Concerns over proposed facility

    A new application for a pork rendering facility in Laverton North has raised concerns among Brimbank residents, who fear it could worsen ongoing odour issues in the area. Submitted by…

  • Festival of colour returns

    Festival of colour returns

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535459 Brimbank is set to come alive with colour, music, and community spirit as the much-loved Holi Festival returns for its third consecutive year.…

  • Watergardens parking woes

    Watergardens parking woes

    Residents have raised concerns about illegal parking and a shortage of carparks at the Watergardens precinct. Brimbank resident Neil Hunichen expressed safety concerns over motorists parking their cars on the…

  • Eagles focused on consistency

    Eagles focused on consistency

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 479746 North Sunshine Eagles remain focused on being competitive each week and letting the results take care of themselves in the Victorian Premier League…

  • Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Australia’s beloved alt-rock power trio Eskimo Joe are sure to have audiences up on their feet when they headline the Lincoln Park Twilight Festival. Held on Saturday 28 February at…

  • Collection retained

    Collection retained

    Brimbank councillors have pushed back against a council recommendation to reduce the frequency of garbage collection services from weekly to fortnightly, as part of state government-mandated waste reforms. Under the…

  • Council adopts social justice framework

    Council adopts social justice framework

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 504582 Brimbank council has adopted a new social justice framework, which it said will help create a more fair, inclusive and supportive community. The…

  • Sunshine North man charged

    Sunshine North man charged

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A 48-year-old Sunshine North man and a California Gully man have been charged as part of an investigation into alleged drug trafficking in…