BRIMBANK NORTH WEST
Home » Sport » Surprise, surprise, it’s semis for Mertens and Edmund

Surprise, surprise, it’s semis for Mertens and Edmund

It was an afternoon of shocks in the Australian Open on Tuesday.

Two of the tournament fancies – women’s singles fourth seed Elina Svitolina and men’s singles third seed Grigor Dimitrov – crashed out at the quarter final stage.

A pair of up and comers – 22 year old Belgian Elise Mertens and 23 year old Brit Kyle Edmund – did the damage and made a name for themselves on the grand slam stage.

Mertens’ dismantling of Svitolina was particularly jaw dropping.

She was through to her first grand slam semi final in just 1 hour 13 minutes following a 6-4 6-0 drubbing of Ukrainian Svitolina at Rod Laver Arena.

Mertens’ previous best grand slam finish was the third round at Roland Garros, but now she is one step away from an unlikely final appearance.

“It’s amazing,” she said.

“I mean, not expected, especially today.

“I played against her last year, really tough match. But, yeah, I was in the zone today. It was a really great match. I played really well, so I’m really happy.”

Mertens was dominant in all facets.

Her own serve was only broken once, while she feasted on Svitolina’s troubles with five breaks.

She was particularly damaging on the backhand with half of her 26 winners coming from that side.

Mertens also had three less unforced errors.

Mertens is becoming more confident by the day, but she is still not looking beyond her next training session.

“Well, today was a really good day,” she said.

“Tried to still progress in a lot of things. Also tomorrow try to do that one more hour of practice just to try to be better.”

Mertens might be planning in small steps, but she has already taken one giant leap in her career at this Australian Open.

Edmund is another surprise packet of this tournament, suddenly just one step away from a grand slam final.

No one expected the 49th ranked South African-born Brit to be one of the last four men standing, but here he is and he is relishing his chance to go deep into the tournament.

“I am loving it right now, just the way that I’m playing,” Edmund said.

“I’m 23 years old, my first grand slam semi final. First time I played on one of the biggest courts in the world.”

Edmund has taken the added focus and pressure all in his stride.

He admitted to a case of the big stage nerves – but it did not show in a 6-4 3-6 6-3 6-4 win over Bulgarian Dimitrov in 2 hours 49 minutes.

“It’s totally normal to feel nervous,” Edmund said.

“I just accepted that and just had things in place to basically deal with it. It’s not like I walked on court being nervous first time in my life. You still go on there and play your game. Today I just did that really well.”

Overnight

The day of shocks continued in the night session.

This time it was more so shock horror as the top seeded Spaniard Rafael Nadal succumbed to injury in the fifth set of his quarter final against Croatian Marin Cilic at Rod Laver Arena.

Nadal was clearly limping at the start of the fifth set and medical attention was not enough to see him continue in the match.

After 3 hours 47 minutes, Nadal retired from the match, sending Cilic to the semi finals.

Cilic held a two-game lead in the fifth with the score 3-6 6-3 6-7 6-2 2-0 at the time of the retirement.

In the late game, Danish second seed Caroline Wozniacki beat stubborn Spaniard Carla Suarez Navarro 6-0 6-7 6-2 to move through to the women’s singles semi final.

Digital Editions


  • Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times in Brimbank increased slightly during the last quarter, according to the latest data released by Ambulance Victoria (AV). In the October to…

More News

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to help the continued…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and quite often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project,…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without a clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from…

  • Multicultural health committee expanded

    Multicultural health committee expanded

    Victoria’s Multicultural Health Advisory Committee has been expanded in an effort to make the state’s health system more inclusive and increasingly diverse. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas unveiled the strengthened and…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north and west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…

  • More than four walls

    More than four walls

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 530350 For people who are socially isolated, culturally diverse or part of the LGBTQIA+ community, finding a space where you feel safe and welcomed…

  • Johns’ new challenge

    Johns’ new challenge

    One door closed and another opened for new Keilor Thunder signing Matt Johns. Johns, who had been playing in Queensland, was set to play basketball overseas late last year. When…

  • Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Epilepsy Action Australia and Australian Women with Epilepsy are inviting women across the country to take part in a powerful one-day forum designed to uplift, inform and support women living…