BRIMBANK NORTH WEST
Home » Sport » Football » Season over for Melton Centrals

Season over for Melton Centrals

Melton Centrals will look back on the 2017 AFL Goldfields’ Women’s Football League season as a learning experience.

After being one of the stronger teams in the former Victorian Women’s Football League north-west competition the past two years, which included playing in two straight grand finals, Centrals were knocked out in an elimination final on Sunday.

Coach Janelle Martin said this year’s competition had been tough.

“We weren’t happy with the competition we’re in but we’ve stuck at it and got through,” she said.

“We’ve definitely got better every game.”

With two wins, Centrals finished fifth and secured the last finals berth. “I’m not sure how we got there,” Martin said before the weekend.

“Everyone knows what’s going to happen at the end of the season anyway, North Geelong will win easy.”

Centrals’ season came to end on Sunday, losing to East Point.

The Dragons kicked the only three goals of the first three quarters and led by 22 points at three-quarter time.

Centrals kicked two late goals but it wasn’t enough, losing 3.8 (26)-2.6 (18).

Sally Martin and Alice Masters were the goal-scorers for Centrals. Linda Morren and Kate Saleta were named the side’s best.

Martin said this season was a reality check playing against players of a higher level.

“It was a great experience for some players to learn what losing was.

“It has been a great experience for the players, but it has been hard as well. We lost some girls as it was too hard. We’ve been short on numbers for a lot of the season.”

Martin, who has had to pull on the jumper to help make up numbers in the team, said the wins were the highlights for the season.

“It’s been good for the new girls, who haven’t played in a win before. When you’re getting smashed [a win] is a confidence booster.”

Rachael Jackson, who had never played football before, was one player who has risen to the challenge.

Martin said next season loomed as an important one with at least 10 players looking to retire. A big chunk of the squad is aged over 30. Martin has also decided that she won’t continue coaching.

“I’m done,” she said.

“I started the club and I’ve done everything,

“I’ll make sure the club doesn’t die and it keeps running. We have a couple of youth girls who will come up, but we’ll need quite a few new players.”

Meanwhile, Sally Martin was named on the bench in the AFL Goldfields Women’s team of the year.

Digital Editions


  • Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times in Brimbank increased slightly during the last quarter, according to the latest data released by Ambulance Victoria (AV). In the October to…

More News

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to help the continued…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and quite often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project,…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without a clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from…

  • Multicultural health committee expanded

    Multicultural health committee expanded

    Victoria’s Multicultural Health Advisory Committee has been expanded in an effort to make the state’s health system more inclusive and increasingly diverse. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas unveiled the strengthened and…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north and west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…

  • More than four walls

    More than four walls

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 530350 For people who are socially isolated, culturally diverse or part of the LGBTQIA+ community, finding a space where you feel safe and welcomed…

  • Johns’ new challenge

    Johns’ new challenge

    One door closed and another opened for new Keilor Thunder signing Matt Johns. Johns, who had been playing in Queensland, was set to play basketball overseas late last year. When…

  • Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Epilepsy Action Australia and Australian Women with Epilepsy are inviting women across the country to take part in a powerful one-day forum designed to uplift, inform and support women living…