BRIMBANK NORTH WEST
Home » Uncategorized » Docklands fire: Apartment building material blamed

Docklands fire: Apartment building material blamed

The rapid spread of a fire through a Docklands apartment tower was  caused in part by combustible construction materials, a review has found, sparking an investigation into building practices and paving the way for an expensive class action.

The Victorian Building Authority has launched an investigation into LU Simon Builders after the MFB revealed on Monday that the external cladding of the 23-storey Lacrosse Building was untested and had “contributed to the spread of the fire”.

The cause of the blaze in the early hours of November 25 was revealed to be an unextinguished cigarette on a sixth-floor balcony, which spread to a plastic container, a timber table top and a nearby air-conditioning unit.

Fast-running flames soon ignited external wall cladding and aided by “combustible material located within the wall structure” quickly spread to the top of the building, the MFB reported.

The MFB called on the City of Melbourne to push for a review of the Building Act and regulatory framework in the wake of the incident.

Resident John Wong – who was only able to return home in April – said the report’s findings were a “relief” because many who witnessed the blaze believed it had spread too quickly.

More than 100 owners and residents have contacted law firm Slater and Gordon regarding a potential class action.

“It was obvious that it wasn’t quite right how quickly the fire propagated and moved up the floors within minutes,” Mr Wong said, adding that he would be attending a meeting hosted by the City of Melbourne on Monday afternoon.

MFB chief fire officer Peter Rau said the building’s external cladding, Alucobest, had undergone scientific testing and was found in breach of combustibility requirements for a high-rise building.

“The external cladding material on this building did not prevent the spread of the fire, as required by the building code,” Mr Rau said.

LU Simon managing director Peter Devitt said aluminium composite panels including Alucobest had been widely used in Australia for decades. He said the cladding complied with Australian standard tests for ignitability, spread of flame, heat and smoke.

But in 2010, when the building was commissioned, there was no such product that passed the test for “combustibility”, he said.

Ben Hardwick, of law firm Slater and Gordon, said legal action potentially worth tens of millions had been on hold awaiting the outcome of the MFB investigation.

“Owners and residents of this building are rightly asking how an occupancy permit was ever issued for this building,” he said.

“They now face the prospect of not only having to deal with the fall out of the fire but will be faced with costly rectification works to replace the external walls to the building.” 

He said whoever was responsible for issuing the occupancy permit in 2012 would “certainly have a number of questions to answer”.

High occupancy rates in the La Trobe Street apartment tower and excessive amounts of combustible material stored on balconies were also found to have contributed to the spread of the fire.

Victorian Building Authority technical and regulation director Jarrod Edwards said the new investigation would probe the conduct of LU Simon Builders and the building surveyor.

Mr Edwards said investigators would try to identify whether the non-compliant external cladding had been used elsewhere.

Mr Devitt said other factors were to blame for the ignition and rapid spread of the fire, including an absence of sprinkler systems on the balconies.  He said planned balcony sprinklers had been removed by fire authorities prior to LU Simon’s involvement in the project.

This story first appeared in The Age

Digital Editions


  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse…

More News

  • Hillside man arrested

    Hillside man arrested

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 Police arrested a 19-year old Hillside man and seized drugs and cash following a crash in Port Melbourne on Thursday 19 February. Officers…

  • Brimbank scientist nominated for award

    Brimbank scientist nominated for award

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534495 Brimbank resident Yemima Ehrnst has been nominated for the 7NEWS Young Achiever Awards (YAA) for her work furthering investigations in green energy. As…

  • Concerns over proposed facility

    Concerns over proposed facility

    A new application for a pork rendering facility in Laverton North has raised concerns among Brimbank residents, who fear it could worsen ongoing odour issues in the area. Submitted by…

  • Festival of colour returns

    Festival of colour returns

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535459 Brimbank is set to come alive with colour, music, and community spirit as the much-loved Holi Festival returns for its third consecutive year.…

  • Watergardens parking woes

    Watergardens parking woes

    Residents have raised concerns about illegal parking and a shortage of carparks at the Watergardens precinct. Brimbank resident Neil Hunichen expressed safety concerns over motorists parking their cars on the…

  • Eagles focused on consistency

    Eagles focused on consistency

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 479746 North Sunshine Eagles remain focused on being competitive each week and letting the results take care of themselves in the Victorian Premier League…

  • Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Australia’s beloved alt-rock power trio Eskimo Joe are sure to have audiences up on their feet when they headline the Lincoln Park Twilight Festival. Held on Saturday 28 February at…

  • Collection retained

    Collection retained

    Brimbank councillors have pushed back against a council recommendation to reduce the frequency of garbage collection services from weekly to fortnightly, as part of state government-mandated waste reforms. Under the…

  • Council adopts social justice framework

    Council adopts social justice framework

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 504582 Brimbank council has adopted a new social justice framework, which it said will help create a more fair, inclusive and supportive community. The…

  • Sunshine North man charged

    Sunshine North man charged

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A 48-year-old Sunshine North man and a California Gully man have been charged as part of an investigation into alleged drug trafficking in…