BRIMBANK NORTH WEST
Home » Uncategorized » Melbourne: Bus services cuts in west, north ruled out

Melbourne: Bus services cuts in west, north ruled out

A plan to cut hundreds of bus services on key routes in Melbourne’s west and north has been dumped by the Andrews government.

The changes, proposed last year by bus operator Transdev, would have taken 433 weekly bus services away from routes in the city’s west and north, a cut of more than 20 per cent, to add capacity to popular routes in the outer east.

Some western suburbs routes would have switched from 15-minute frequencies to a bus every half-hour.

But Public Transport Minister Jacinta Allan announced on Tuesday that Transdev’s proposal would not proceed, after a report in The Age that outlined the impact of the planned cuts.

“Demand for buses is growing faster than any other mode of transport, and we need to make sure they continue to meet the needs of our community,” Ms Allan said in a statement.

“Rather than cutting buses in one area to increase buses in another, the Andrews Labor government will develop a more balanced bus network plan in consultation with the community.”

Under Transdev’s proposal, Melbourne’s three popular orbital bus routes would have been broken up into several shorter runs, and cross-city services split so that they terminate in the CBD. The changes were announced late last year and were originally meant to have taken effect this weekend.

Public Transport Victoria and Transdev will instead be directed to come up with a new plan in consultation with communities.

“Cutting buses, particularly without proper consultation, would leave people isolated and without access to the services they plan their lives around,” the government said.

Since winning office in November the Andrews government has put a stop to a number of transport plans and projects devised under the former Napthine government.

Last month it cancelled the $2.5 billion Cranbourne-Pakenham rail corridor upgrade project, an unsolicited bid put forward by Metro, Melbourne’s rail operator, and announced its own plans to improve services on the rail corridor.    

It also scrapped the 18-kilometre East West Link project after contracts were signed by the former government to build the $6.8 billion first stage of the road. 

This story first appeared in The Age

Digital Editions


  • Women’s history centre stage

    Women’s history centre stage

    A special one-off theatrical performance is coming to the Kyneton Town Hall in celebration of International Women’s Day. In 2026, the theme for International Women’s…

More News

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher distracted-driving and seatbelt enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will soon become…

  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the frequency of targeted attacks,…

  • Festival for all abilities

    Festival for all abilities

    Ability Fest is returning to Melbourne on April 11, 2026, with a new focus on industrial venue accessibility at The Timber Yard in Port Melbourne. The event marks a shift…

  • The sport of kings in Werribee

    The sport of kings in Werribee

    What many call the sport of kings will be on full display at Werribee Park as the historic Urquhart Cup polo tournament gallops into town on Sunday 1 March. More…

  • Lions through

    Lions through

    Deer Park will be hoping to go one better after winning through to the Victorian Turf Cricket Association group A T20 grand finals. Last year’s runners-up, the Lions sent a…

  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Hillside man arrested

    Hillside man arrested

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 Police arrested a 19-year old Hillside man and seized drugs and cash following a crash in Port Melbourne on Thursday 19 February. Officers…

  • Brimbank scientist nominated for award

    Brimbank scientist nominated for award

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534495 Brimbank resident Yemima Ehrnst has been nominated for the 7NEWS Young Achiever Awards (YAA) for her work furthering investigations in green energy. As…

  • Concerns over proposed facility

    Concerns over proposed facility

    A new application for a pork rendering facility in Laverton North has raised concerns among Brimbank residents, who fear it could worsen ongoing odour issues in the area. Submitted by…