BRIMBANK NORTH WEST
Home » Uncategorized » Brooklyn road dust to settle at last as sealing work begins

Brooklyn road dust to settle at last as sealing work begins

Work will start in the next fortnight to seal two of Brooklyn’s dustiest roads under a $2.6million partnership between the state government and Brimbank council.

As reported exclusively by Star Weekly, the government in February announced it would contribute $1.85million towards sealing Bunting and Jones roads – the single greatest source of dust in Brooklyn, Victoria’s most polluted suburb.

Since the end of June last year, Brooklyn residents have suffered 17 days of dust levels as high as those experienced during the Black Saturday bushfires. Last financial year, there were 28 days when PM10 (dust particle) emissions exceeded recommended safety levels.

The World Health Organisation warns people should not be exposed to such high levels of particle pollution for more than five days a year.

Works that were originally expected to start in June will now start within a fortnight after contracts were signed last week between Brimbank council and civil engineers.

The road sealing is expected to be completed by July. Williamstown MP Wade Noonan said a 2011 study by the Environment Protection Authority (EPA) found Bunting Road contributed at least 23 per cent of road dust emissions and Jones Road at least eight per cent.

“The sealing of Bunting and Jones roads will help reduce dust levels in Brooklyn, a suburb that has endured dust pollution for far too long,” Mr Noonan said.

“Bunting and Jones roads are the biggest single source of dust in the Brooklyn area. This is set to change by mid-July once the roads are sealed.

“We congratulate Brimbank council for progressing this so quickly after the funding announcement.”

The EPA has issued notices to 13 companies in Brooklyn to reduce dust emissions.

EPA manager Richard Marks said there were 27 pollution abatement notices in place for Brooklyn businesses.

In January, the EPA fined two Brooklyn businesses more than $7000 each for failing to minimise dust coming from their premises. Another four companies were officially warned about mud and dust coming from premises.

Related

Dusty Brooklynites call for closure of road

Brooklyn: Council scraps dust charge for landowners

Digital Editions


  • Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times in Brimbank increased slightly during the last quarter, according to the latest data released by Ambulance Victoria (AV). In the October to…

More News

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to help the continued…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and quite often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project,…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without a clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from…

  • Multicultural health committee expanded

    Multicultural health committee expanded

    Victoria’s Multicultural Health Advisory Committee has been expanded in an effort to make the state’s health system more inclusive and increasingly diverse. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas unveiled the strengthened and…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north and west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…

  • More than four walls

    More than four walls

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 530350 For people who are socially isolated, culturally diverse or part of the LGBTQIA+ community, finding a space where you feel safe and welcomed…

  • Johns’ new challenge

    Johns’ new challenge

    One door closed and another opened for new Keilor Thunder signing Matt Johns. Johns, who had been playing in Queensland, was set to play basketball overseas late last year. When…

  • Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Epilepsy Action Australia and Australian Women with Epilepsy are inviting women across the country to take part in a powerful one-day forum designed to uplift, inform and support women living…